Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I've figured it out

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1992 09:06:50 -0800
Subject: I've figured it out
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

I've figured this whole Tori Amos thing out.  People have been wondering
just what it is that has caused such the unbelievable buzz about her and
_Little Earthquakes_, and the other evening the solution came to me.

Tori's a witch.  She has placed a spell in the music of her album that makes
it almost completely impossible for one to stop listening to it once one
has begun.  Everybody I've talked to who has acquired this album has agreed
that they haven't been able to stop listening to it since they got it, and
they're not tiring of it at all.  They, myself included, can't really figure
out why they like it, if they're sure they like it at all.  But the fact
remains that I myself have listened to it at least 30 times in the two weeks
since I got it, including four straight times through last Thursday afternoon,
and when it's not on it's going through my head and I wait in anticipation
until I can get home and put it in the player.  Similar symptoms have been
reported across the globe.

This explains the hype on MTV and in the press, not to mention the multiple
orgasms people are having over the album (hmm, maybe in this case that was
a bad metaphor ;).  Her spell is nearly impenetrable- in fact, the only person
who can resist it in the least is Vickie, whose inherent earth-motherness
renders her able to say she doesn't really think to much of it and criticize
it in her stronger moments.  However, in her weaker moments she succumbs
and joins in the accolades.  To me, this theory makes perfect sense. :)

I'm not knocking Tori's talent.  In fact, I'm glad to see her opening the
door for other female artists, be they newcomers or women with long careers
behind them who have never gotten the recognition they deserved, at least
in this country (sound like anyone we know and worship?).  But there must
be magic involved, because otherwise I just can't figure this whole thing
out.
	    |   	    Meredith A. Tarr               |
	    |   "Oh let me fly, give me something to show  |
	    |      for my miserable life..." -Kate Bush    |
	    |	         mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu          |