Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Thanks, gaffa!

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1992 15:24:15 -0800
Subject: Thanks, gaffa!
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM>
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in To: address found on wiretap.Spies.COM:To: clout\!wiretap.spies.com\!love-hounds@chinet.chi.il.us (love-hounds) ^ ^-illegal word in localpart \-expected word

Vickie here. I've posted before and things haven't shown up, so I'll try
again. This appeared in rec.music.misc, but what I describe in my 3rd
paragraph wouldn't have happened if not for rec.music.gaffa so I wanted
to share it.

Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes In Concert

In article <hargieka.701454935@craft.camp.clarkson.edu>
hargieka@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (_kIrI_ ) writes:
> Those unfortunate enough to have not seen either of Happy's live
> performances this past week missed out on the beginning of this
> brilliant woman's live career.  For those of you who are familiar
> with Happy's work you may not want to miss the next live show...she
> is magical...her songs are even better performed live.  She is
> backed up by five extremely talented musicians creating one of
> the tightest bands I have ever seen (if not the tightest period).a
> I highly recommend going to her shows...if they pass by in an area
> close to you..heck even if you have to drive 8 hours to see her show
> DO IT!

I heartily agree!! I traveled from Chicago to Albany, NY and Philly for
the shows and it was worth everything I went through to get there.
The concerts were both excellent, with Philly being the highlight. She
sold out the 800-seat University Museum Auditorium and received 2 standing
ovations. Well-deserved standing ovations!

She's well-known among fans as being shy and reserved and no one quite knew
what to expect from her on stage, but she does have a wonderful presence
and takes command of herself and the audience, casting a spell that doesn't
end until the lights come up. I was thrilled at just being there but came
away with even *more* respect for Happy (quite a feat since I've been a
major fan since 1988!)

After the concert, she and Kevin did something on a personal level that
was overwhelmingly wonderful. A restaurant had been reserved for a post-
concert party so that Happy could meet with press and other schmoozer
types. Happy made sure that the members of Ecto, her electronic fan club
(ecto-request@athos.rutgers.edu) were invited to the party. A final count
hasn't been tallied yet, but there were definitely over 30 of us there.
Happy made sure she went around to all the tables and said hi to everybody
on the mailing list. Just an amazing person! I have deep respect for an
artist who would do something so thoughtful for her fans, especially since
Ecto is unconventional (I mean, an electronic club instead of a "regular"
snail-mail kind of thing.)

Happy has 5 albums out, but this is really just the beginning of her live
career, as Kiri said above. I'm very proud to have been a part of it.

Any future dates will be announced by Ecto. Keep an eye out!

Vickie                        "There is a road straight to my heart" HR
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us     _________
                             |_  _ | _   The Happy Rhodes mailing list
"Imagination sets in, then   |__|_ ||_|  ecto-request@athos.rutgers.edu
 all the voices begin" KB                Jessica Dembski-Ecto Goddess Lady