Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos on MTV

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 19:14:44 -0800
Subject: Tori Amos on MTV
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Well, I must say that I was impressed with the most-of-an-hour they dedicated
to Tori tonight.  I could have done without the King's X and Mr. Big videos
(hmm...I think there was another grunty in there as well) but so it goes.

For those who missed it...they started out by showing "Silent All These
Years," which has been getting airplay all over the place.  Next came a
short bio and then a bit of an interview.  Next, "China" was shown.  Tori
then moved over to a piano and played "Crucify".  Next came "Me And A Gun"
(which Tori said was semi-inspired by having seen _Thelma And Louise_--the
movie reminded her of an incident in her own life).  Then the video to
"Winter" (which is spectacular!), and finally she performed "Precious
Things"  I was rather surprised that she didn't change the lyrics to
this last song...I never expected to hear the word "cum" on MTV.  I wonder
if there was any sort of stink raised over this (or if there will be...).

All in all a pleasing hour.  And they showed some concert dates in the mid-
atlantic region, including the Birchemere (DC area) on 4/23.  I can't wait!

obKaTe:  John Norris, who conducted the interview brought up KaTe, of course.
Tori responded by saying that media people just love to pigeonhole female
performers, comparing them to others.  She said that she doesn't see this
happening much to male performers.  Tori had a great response to the
Kate Bush comparisons, saying that just because they play the same instrument
doesn't mean they're similar.  After all, there aren't that many instruments
to choose from!

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |
|jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu            |                         --Happy Rhodes |