Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sarah, Tori, Gorey, Kate, and Brazil

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 09:32:57 -0800
Subject: Sarah, Tori, Gorey, Kate, and Brazil
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

>Just heard Solace last night (while cleaning up dinner, helping one child
>with spelling, another with math, and hearing another torture his mother in
>the bathtub, not the best of listening environments) and I don't get the
>comparisions to Kate's voice.  Sinead O'Connor perhaps, maybe even Pheobe
>Snow.  But no Kate I ever heard.  And when do we start calling her Sarah?

Um, sometimes her backing vocals are reminiscent of Kate, but not really. I
think of Joni Mitchell whenever I hear _Solace_, though.  (And I'm bummed
because the interview with Sarah I tried to set up fell through... :( )

Anybody else think Paul Schaffer (whom I incidentally have never been able to
stomach) butchered "Into The Fire" musically?  She was obviously having a good
time and her voice sounded great, but what was behind it was...weak.  I sorta
expected that, though.

>Gorey fans and would be fans should not overlook his illustrations of other
>authors works.

You forgot the illustrations to John Bellairs' _The House With A Clock In Its
Walls_, which was my first introduction to Gorey's work.  I was nine at the
time, so I think it's a good thing it wasn't _The Gashlycrumb Tinies_ or
anything, which blessedly waited until I was already in college and the damage
had been done by other means. :)

>The man is very prolific.  Didn't he
>do the sets for a Broadway production of Dracula?

As far as I know, yes...

Andy says:

>I'm curious to know what the two missing scenes were about.  I saw the
>"American" version, I suppose--as I saw it in the Detroit area theaters
>(twice).

There are two versions, which I saw in Europe.  Version 1, which was dubbed in
German (:P), was the same as the American theater version, but with the
addition of a scene after Sam gets arrested in the bombed-out department store
in which he's processed (it's quite funny) and then visited by the dude in a
wheelchair, who is clad in a Santa suit and yells at him for being stupid
enough to point out a mistake in the system.  Version 2, which was merely
subtitled in German, is the same as Version 1, except it contains a small
episode between Sam and Jill, the morning after in his mother's boudoir.  He
wakes up to see her sitting on the edge of the bed clad only in a green ribbon,
and she asks him "Aren't you gonna open your Christmas present?".  They go at
it for a few minutes, then the stormtroopers come in.

>     One thing I can't reconcile is that in the clips of the film that were
>shown on Entertainment Tonight as part of the segment, I remember it showing
>a lasergun battles between Tuttle and government stormtroopers.  But the
>released film has nothing like this.

You saw that too!!!  I recall seeing that thing on ET and then seeing the movie
a few weeks later, when it actually came to the little cinema near me in Maine,
of all places (still haven't figured that one out), and wondering where the
laser guns were.  I'd give anything to see all the scenes which got removed
from the various final versions.

Interesting theory about the title.  Certainly makes sense!

>From the Purdue review:

>	She looks like Amy Grant.  She sounds like Kate Bush.

I have one question.  Why the HELL is everyone on the planet saying that Tori
Amos sounds like Kate Bush???  I've had nothing but _Little Earthquakes_ going
in my Walkman all day (I'm on listen #4 right now for the day), and she only
sounds like Kate in one small backing vocal on "Crucify".  Other than that, she
sounds like Tori Amos.  Basta.

I'm not denying the influences, though- you can tell which tracks Jon Kelly
worked on for sure, and the cover itself is a dead giveaway.  But she does not,
repeat, does NOT sound like Kate!  The only female singer I've heard recently
who can even come close is Happy Rhodes, and she sounds so much like Kate
sometimes it gives me the chills...

>Okay, If a reviewer her in b.f. Indiana loves it, I just gotta hear
>this stuff!!  They also show a pic of her with a v-cut black long
>sleeve shirt and jeans with a belt.  Although it is a typical
>newspaper photo, I see where they get the Amy Grant line, though
>she's definitely got those Luscious Lips A La KaTe!!!!!!!

It's well worth it.  I don't know why I can't stop listening to it, but I
can't.  As for your line about her lips, here's a line from "Silent All These
Years" for you:

"And you're staring again at my funny lip shape" ;)

Simon blasphemes: :)

>OBKaTe: I can't stand KaTe's speaking voice! But don't tell anyone.

Remember, sir, if her speaking voice were any different who's to tell what her
singing voice would then be like.  I think it's charming, and I love her accent
(as anyone who's heard me unconsciously imitate it when quoting her will vouch
for).  Although I will admit there are some interviews from her earlier career
in which she sounded like she was on helium...I don't want to think what
it sounded like when she was 5 or so!
	    |   	    Meredith A. Tarr               |
	    |   "Oh let me fly, give me something to show  |
	    |      for my miserable life..." -Kate Bush    |
	    |	         mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu          |