Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brazil

From: nrc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1992 07:35:40 -0800
Subject: Re: Brazil
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:

> It's my favorite film of all time,
> I've seen it 27 times now, and I'll never get enough... :)  You'll see what
> I mean, and you might just be as pissed off about the edited version as I
> am.  I really wonder what Gilliam thought of it...

_Brazil_ is my all time favorite, as well.  For an excellent, detailed
view of Terry Gilliam's fight with the studio over his movie look for
a book called "The Battle of Brazil".  I believe this is out print,
liquidated on the cheap book shelves years ago, but I found it at the
library.  Maybe someone else can recall the author's name.

Gilliam fans will be glad to hear that Criterion plans a special edition
of _Baron von Munchausen_ on laser disc.  I believe a special edition
of _The Fisher King_ is planned, as well.  I have yet to hear anything
about even a letterbox edition of _Brazil_, let alone a collector's edition.

I was assuming that the studio would not cooperate with such and effort
because of the bitter fight with Gilliam.  News that a "director's
cut" of the film is circulatiing suggests that it might still happen,
however.   The possibility that Kate's version of the song "Brazil" might
appear on such an edition is too exciting to consider.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP