Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos - REVIEW

From: lycaon@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Gerald Hough)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1992 15:16:15 -0800
Subject: Tori Amos - REVIEW
To: rec-music-gaffa@gatech.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

Okay, I only heard about this woman about 2 weeks ago, since I got my
account, and BANG!  This girl is everywhere!  Purdue University's
school newspaper The Exponent, Wednesday, March 25, 1992 has the following
review in their "New Sounds" section:

	She looks like Amy Grant.  She sounds like Kate Bush.
But looks can be deceiving.  Tori Amos, a preacher's daugh-
ter from north Carolina, has a beautiful voice and plays an
uplifting piano.  But she has more than that- she also has
substance.  The lyrics contained in the artist's debut album
"Little Earthquakes" are unpretentious, and yet poetic.
They are often sexual and sometimes shocking, but not dis-
gusting, only honest.  Amos writes of lust, fear and self-
liberation.  "I could just pretend that you love me," Amos
sings, "And the night would lose all sense of fear / But why
do I need you to love me / When you can't hold what I hold
dear."  And her voice is impressive.  The song "Winter," dis-
plays a breathy, high-pitched sound that I always thought
would be annoying on anyone but Kate Bush.  The sound is
also very pleasing musically.  Aside from doing her own
backup on this album, Amos is credited with the strings
and the acoustic and electric pianos.  "Winter" is complete
with a full orchestra and Irish war drums.  So don't let the
pretty package fool you, this is a woman with backbone as
well as talent, and we'll probably be hearing a lot more of
her.  I certainly hope so.

--Audrey Hungerford

Okay, If a reviewer her in b.f. Indiana loves it, I just gotta hear
this stuff!!  They also show a pic of her with a v-cut black long
sleeve shirt and jeans with a belt.  Although it is a typical
newspaper photo, I see where they get the Amy Grant line, though
she's definitely got those Luscious Lips A La KaTe!!!!!!!

--J.