Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rec.music.gaffa mentioned (sorta) in Happy article

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@harvard.harvard.edu (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1992 13:44:00 -0800
Subject: Rec.music.gaffa mentioned (sorta) in Happy article
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here. I about fell over when I saw someone mention gaffa turning
into rec.music.tori! Ha!Ha! Memory takes me back to last year when people
were getting tired of the Happy Rhodes talk (rec.music.happy) and Ecto
forming to take the heat off. I can't resist including this excerpt of
an article written about Happy that appeared in _Buzz_ magazine that
mentions that. (Ok, so it mentions me too...I'm very proud, what can
I say?)

Please keep in mind that there was a bit of miscommunication between
Happy and the interviewer. Happy knows *exactly* what rec.music.gaffa
is, but it must have been hard to explain to the interviewer, who ended
up calling gaffa a "fan club" and a "BBS" but those were *not* Happy's
words.

Buzz - March 1992

HAPPY TO PUT ON WARPAINT
>From Albany to the World
by Dina Williams

--begin excerpt--

Many Albany bands play the bars, release something on a local label
and eventually break up, fade from sight or get so entrenched in niche
that they never move beyond 'the scene.'

Not singer/composer Happy Rhodes.  Several years before the Albany
crowd began embracing her work she developed an international following.

Happy's ethererally high vocals have been compared to Kate Bush's through-
out her nearly 10 year-long career.  Her voice has an incredible four-
octave range and travels the scales with amazing speed.  Like Kate, Happy
listens to her own rare muse and doesn't plan to bow to fashion trends or
corporate pressures.

Happy's name might not be as familiar as those of higher profile local
bands, but she's garnered a group of admirers from around the world,
partly through her connection to Kate's network of fans.

Members of Kate Bush's fan club communicate through an electronic
bulletin board, called a BBS, that they access with computers and modems.
It was on Kate's BBS that a Kansas City DJ, Vickie Mapes, started a buzz
about Happy two years ago.  Rhodes soon received orders for her four
cassettes of electronic/vocal compositions, which she and partner Kevin
Bartlett had released on his homegrown label, Aural Gratification.

Eventually, she says, fan club members complained that there was too much
talk of Happy on the BBS.  So Happy's fans organized their own club - called
Ecto, after her fourth album - with a BBS and fanzine.  Organized in 1991,
the club now has more than 70 subscribers.
_Warpaint's_ thought-provoking songs have reached ears as far away as
Alaska, Hawaii, Europe and Africa because the grassroots approach
operates outside the mainstream.  Happy likes the way it works.  "It's
much slower, but your integrity stays intact." she says.

---end excerpt---

Yeah! Ecto was also mentioned in a long article that appeared in the
Philadelphia Inquirer the day of the Philly show. Lots of fun!!

Vickie