Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate questions

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1992 11:22:09 -0800
Subject: Re: Kate questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.llnl.gov

In article <92Mar11.060600pst.436346@wiretap.Spies.COM> dlocke@wiltel.UUCP writes:
>Is it true that the SNL with Kate hasn't ever been rebroadcast in
>full?  Some SNL episodes are out on video, and KT isn't one of
>them, right?

The episode with Kate (hosted by Eric Idle) IS out on videocassette,
but Kate's part was cut out!  On some versions there's a picture of
her on the back of the box, but as far as I know even those don't
include her performance.  They do have the scene at the very end
during the credits when everyone is on stage, and you can see her
then.

>(I don't know if this is heresy but) Kate was lip-synching on SNL?

Well, the version of "Them Heavy People" from SNL sounds very different
from any other version (the backing vocal is totally different), so
if it was lip-synced, it was too a newly recorded version.  Sounds
unlikely to me.

>Indeed, the Hammersmith show sounds *very* close to her recorded stuff...
>Was Kate really singing?

I don't think you've been listening closely enough to the Hammersmith
show.  It sounds different from the album versions in many places.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov