Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Silent All These Years"

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1992 11:08:07 -0800
Subject: "Silent All These Years"
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

I finally got to see the new Tori Amos video today (I've had and enjoyed
the album for a while now).  It's quite a striking video; very cool
images 'n techniques.

MTV has apparently decided that this is the case--they're calling it one
of their "breakthrough videos" and hyping it a bit.  The VJ who introduced
it today made the now-common Kate Bush reference--"She may sound like Kate
Bush to you, but she has her own style" or some such nonsense.  I really
don't understand it, as she doesn't remind me anything of KaTe by way of
vocals, and while her music has obviously been influenced by KaTe, I'd
hardly say that Tori sounds like her!

Still, it's a beautiful video, one worth seeing.  I'm already starting to
wonder what her next single will be.  "Happy Phantom" strikes me as one of
the most single-esque songs on the album, but I'm having trouble imagining
a pop single with the line, "I'll wear my naughties on the outside like a
jewel."

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |
|jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu            |                         --Happy Rhodes |