Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bitchiness (or kill file hall of fame)

From: brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1992 09:07:02 -0800
Subject: Re: Bitchiness (or kill file hall of fame)
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (News)

Jon wroted:
[...]
>Bugger that for a lark.  If you can't pick out what my meaning is between
>the slurs, swears and innuendo, then tough bologna on you, buddy.

     To repeat what I said, I was speaking of the method, or the "how" of
expressing an idea.  I have no trouble knowing what you post.  I was
commenting on tactless sideband.  My every so humble opinion regarding
sideband.
     As an analogy, imagine someone burping constantly during a speech.  It's
no harder to understand what they're saying inbetween belches, but it casts
that much of a pallor over what they say.  The speaker has to be aware of
the pallor, and make the decision whether or not to consider controlling the
belches or not, or the speaker's intent will be uncontrollably changed.  It
is entirely the speaker's right to burp or not, I am merely mentioning the
pallor.
     It's very simple, actually.  If I know the speaker is aware of, but does
nothing to correct the belches, I know that what the speaker was trying to
express was, indeed, gas, in addition to his speech.  It is simple, I've
come to that conclusion a couple of times here, and I'm not a genius, just
human.
     So you see, I understand what your words mean, but you're missing what
your words are saying.

[...]
>>     Yes.  If I could ask, please take this to email.
>Ah, it must be Ken.  Hi there!  I don't have your email address, so it's
>getting posted.  Besides, the first part is of general interest.

     Just a suggestion, but before posting, you could have 1) looked for my
address at the end of any message I've typed, including messages in the
archives back to October '89, which coincidentally use an address that still
reaches me, or 2) plain old asked in the post.
     It's not that this is the first time I've said something to this effect,
nor do I expect that this will be the last time.  If your choice is not to
take this to email, say so.  It will save time.  I am extremely pleased to
go to email, and everything I have brought to email has been settled
favorably for both parties in short order.  Again, this may not be your
impression of an ideal.
     This post came out a bit harsher than I had planned, sorry.  Thanks for
the picture-book suggestion, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

>>     Doesn't UUCP suck?
>It's better than pony express.  But not by much.

:-)  Just hope Richard isn't listening...  :-)*10

     I'll introduce a point made to me by Richard that UUCP is indeed an only
path as far as its brand of networking is concerned, so shunning it is
somewhat akin to saying that floatation devices suck for water travel.

--
							Ken.
Mail&info via finger:  KT@uiuc.edu	    brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu