Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

NOT THIS TIME

From: jody_ferguson.asw.navairtestcen%pcgate@NATC-FW.NAVY.MIL
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1992 10:01:00 -0800
Subject: NOT THIS TIME
To: "love-hounds" <love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu>

I may be very late with this one but...

Anyone ever notice in _Kate_Bush_Complete_ that the lyrics to "Not
This Time" include:

"It keeps me going and it keeps the ship away"

Did Kate actually write it like that and decide to change "ship" to
"shit" in the recording?  Or did EMI Publishing decide to change it so
as not to offend the sensibilities of those who think she is not capable
of doing it, let alone saying it?

It is even more clear to me that she says "shit" and not "ship" since I
got the Box.  You wouldn't believe the time I spent in '87 playing that
part over and over trying to make sure that was what OUR KATE was
saying!

And why would she want to keep a ship away anyway?  There were no
nautical terms employed up to that point!

                                         Whimsically yours,
                                            Jody