Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Katemas in the UK

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1992 04:51:22 -0800
Subject: Katemas in the UK
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

>From:	Ben Siemerink <bjhs@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: KaTemas in the UK?
>I read a lot of  messages of KaTemas in the US, but does  anyone  know
>something about previouw  KaTemases in the UK?  Or does  Homeground or
>KBC organize  something?  I'm in the UK only since November 1991, so I
>myself don't have any experience with that.

As far as I know neither KBC or Homeground have organised any Katemas
parties. Last year Andy Semple of Coventry Poly collected together
a list of people in the UK who would be interested in attending a UK
Katemas somewhere. However, although he had about 20 names at one
stage nothing actually was arranged. Largely because many of the people
on the list were students who were on vacation when Katemas occurred.

I think the lack of organised parties in the UK is a result of a
number of factors. (1) There are relatively few active UK Lovehounds
(though there may be a large silent minority out there), (2) as
indicated above, many are students and away from their digs at the
appropriate time (presumably at their parents and with no net access),
(3) houses/flats in the UK are smaller and less suitable for mass
gatherings, (4) public transport in the UK is almost non-existant
so non drivers or people who want to drink are stuck, (5) we are more
reserved and therefore some may condsider the whole idea of Katemas
a bit twee (!), (6) we are totally apathetic (though to paraphrase
Bob Kerrey - I am apathetic about Lovehounds' apathy!).

Don't let all that put you off organising something this year!
Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk