Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Favorite KaTe photograph

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <@hermes.intel.com:AGOUGH@AZ.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1992 15:57:00 -0800
Subject: Favorite KaTe photograph
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.EDU

>Date:	Sun, 9 Feb 1992 12:51:00 -0800
>From:	judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
>
>    Anyway- ON TO KATE-GODDESS RELATED TOPICS! My question to all of you is:
>
>what is your favorite picture of Kate, and why?
>
> My personal favorite is the photo from the cover of "The Whole Story". It's
>so beautiful, warm, friendly, slightly impish, intelligent, gorgeous, and yes,
>very, very sexy. (I guess being a female I can say that, huh?) If I could look
>like any one person\picture on the face of the earth, that would be it. (With
>color added, of course!) She really is a beautiful and classy lady.
>
>                       judi

I like that photograph a lot, too.  I also like the photograph on the back of
Lionheart, and the photograph on the cover of The Sensual World.  But, my #1
personal favorite photograph of KaTe is...

     The photograph on the back of The Hounds of Love, or the Ninth Wave
photograph.  I think Kate is the most attractive in this photograph.  It took
me a while to figure out this photograph, too.  At first, I thought it was Kate,
wearing a weird dress, swinging around a pole (which is what her hands are
hanging onto outside of the picture).  Later, I recognized the lifejacket and
the brambles, along with the soggy appearance of the dress.  I thought, "Hmm,
brambles.  An allusion to Ophelia in Hamlet, perhaps."  Later, I was gratified
to see IED post that the photograph was setup to allude to Ophelia.
     A few miscellaneous comments on the Ninth Wave photograph.  One, I can't
figure out what she is holding onto or reaching out to--maybe it doesn't
matter.  Two, I have never seen KaTe's lips look as full in any other
photograph.  Finally, I have both the U.S. compact disc and the U.K. compact
disc (from the boxed set)--guess which one has the better print of the
photograph?  Yes, the U.S. print is much superior to the U.K. print--the U.K.
print has too much contrast--almost to the point a plain white/black print.
And if you thought I was going to say the U.K. print--come on, folks!  The U.S.
isn't as bad as television news would have one believe!

-andy