Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This is pop?

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1992 04:00:39 -0800
Subject: Re: This is pop?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

In article <5w5RFB5w164w@bsbbs.UUCP> cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP (Cynthia Rosas) writes:
   [...] I know for myself, I use
   "pop" sort of to describe music that isn't "rock" or "metal",
   that isn't "jazz" or "new age", isn't classical, etc.

Ah, at last - a person who can tell me what "new age" is! According to
my favourite record store, "New Age" is Vangelis, Enya, Andreas
Vollenweider, and instrumental music in general (chiefly
synthesizers). I don't know why they don't make life for us while
looking a little easier, and put it all under pop. At least they had
the sense not to separate rock and pop.

Oh, and any Top 10 material is by definition pop, ergo Kate Bush is
pop. BTW, did you know that Kate Bush is mentioned in the introduction
to the grunge-mailing list as an example of artist who plays grunge
some times? (I think it must be TD that gave her that status, and
rightly so, IMO)

Kjetil T.