Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?

From: brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1992 01:35:01 -0800
Subject: Taking the Pseudo- out of Pseudo-Moderator?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com (Love-Hounds)
State_Of_Sanity: Not applicable.

The following was created and performed by N. Richard Caldwell:
|wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (The World Famous Bill Wisner) writes:
|> Do readers really want Love-Hounds to become truly moderated, and have
|> extraneous articles (for some definition of extraneous) filtered out?
|Thanks, but no thanks.  The two best things about Gaffa are that
|it's an open forum and that it is the fastest way to widely
|distribute Kate news.  Actual moderation would reduce or
|eliminate both of those benefits.

     I agree.  It's not a moderation problem, it's everyone's problem,
exclusive of the mechanics of the list.  If moderation is necessary, there's
no reason for this to exist.

|There are plenty of other forums for people who want strictly
|moderated Kate news, fanzines for instance.  The nearly
|immediate, interactive  nature of Love-Hounds may cause problems
|at times but it's what makes Gaffa a unique and special forum for
|Kate fans.  We've weathered flame wars that were orders of
|magnitude greater than this tempest in a teapot and those
|essential ingredients have always sustained us.

     It will be pretty easy for us to weather it, but it would be nice to
try to minimalize the problem.  How is another thing.

|> So, do I turn Love-Hounds into a truly moderated mailing list/newsgroup?  Or
|> does discussion (such as it is) continue unhindered?  You decide.

|No.  If you have some spare time to spend on tinkering with Gaffa
|I think the group would be better served if you moved toward
|releasing the newsgroup from moderation completely.  While the
|group seems to have been running relatively smoothly of late,
|moderation has always been a source of intermittent problems for
|rec.music.gaffa. It should be possible to gate to and from the
|mailing list without forcing moderation, even psuedo-moderation,
|on newsgroup readers.
|In summary, thanks very much for your services as psuedo-
|moderator.  I think you've done a great job as psuedo-moderator
|and I hope you'll continue in that capacity (with emphasis on
|"psuedo").

     Agreed again.  I'm pasting the letter to drown out the noise.

|"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
--

Mail only & info via finger:  KT@uiuc.edu  |            Ken.
This composition is 100% personal opinion. |  brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu