Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dax Peel Sessions CD / Re: In a Warm Room

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1992 11:24:18 -0800
Subject: Re: Dax Peel Sessions CD / Re: In a Warm Room
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Jan31.084930.5681@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.EDU (Kenneth R Brownfield) writes:
>larry@csccat.cs.COM (Larry Spence) writes:
>
>>>It's interesting to me to see thru email how deeply shared my views are, in
>>>certain corners, and it encourages me to carry this on.
>
>>For the record, at least _one_ piece of email was sent to Jorn expressing
>>a different opinion.  I don't know if he got it before he posted the above.
>
>     Well, if he _did_ see it, I don't think certain corners is a general all-
>inclusive term.

I got a reply from Jorn shortly after posting the above followup.  I don't
have any personal axe for Jorn, I just think it's unfortunate that he feels
the need to create a separate list.  The flames and sarcasm in gaffa are
not _that_ insufferable, IMHO.  Now, by the time the next Kate album comes
out, maybe... %)

>>Yes, and _we_ remember that you don't run away and hide from hecklers, you
>>learn to ignore them or give 'em a taste of their own medicine (Sandra
>
>     This is foolish.  You don't beat the crap out of two people who are
>fighting and breaking up a concert, you'd be no better than they are.  While
>I can sympathize with the revenge aspect, it just doesn't cut it, IMESHO.

Aww, you need to go see Sandra Bernhard rip the gills off a heckler.  And
you can ignore a flame war, whereas you can't ignore two people fighting in
the front row.  It's not like we're talking about 20 flame messages a day,
right?  It's just that there's so little Kate news that it stands out a bit
more.

>     Hiding?  How can you hide from your own mailbox?

I get gaffa via news, not the mailing list.  I apologize for any confusion
created by my not taking this into account.

>     Love-hounds is a "little private circle" from the net majority who
>won't have anything to do with Kate Bush.  Are you a Love-Hound or have
>you been posting to the wrong list for a _long_ time?

I only post very infrequently.  Some of Kate's stuff I love, other stuff isn't
for me at all, so I doubt if I'm a "Love-Hound."  I do read gaffa, and like
the interviews and such.

>You seem to be
>calling one instance of a mailing list hiding and another technically
>identical mailing list reality.

Again, I get rec.music.gaffa, not the list.   I think a lot of people read
the newsgroup, but I could be quite wrong.

>Are Love-Hounds simply hiding from
>the naughty net outside, or are we a group of people with much in common who
>want to understand and know other people?
>     Tell me why the fuck it's so hard to see the latter.

I think there's a bit of both.  Gaffa doesn't seem to handle hecklers or
people who aren't regulars very well -- it does seem isolated from the rest
of the net (at least as far as rec.music.gaffa goes).  When my wife reads
some of the gaffa traffic, her usual reaction is "airy-fairy" (Jennifer
dons Nomex suit).  I would say that some of gaffa is wonderful, other bits
get into ivory-tower territory.  But my opinion of gaffa isn't the point --
it's that gaffa should be able to gracefully deal with people like C*, S*,
or me, without abandoning the forum of gaffa entirely.

>     Unfortunately, sarcasm is slowly becoming joking cynicism, not it's
>true definition, and I'm very guilty of it.  Tell me that Cynthia is
>sarcastic and I will politely laugh in your face.

sarcasm:
1) a cutting or contemptuous remark
2) ironical criticism or reproach

She definitely fits at least definition (1). %)

>     Folks, I'm not trying to be God, clairvoyant, or anything of that sort.

Me neither.  Followups via personal email, please, we've wasted enough
bandwidth on this.  If Jorn's entire post was sarcasm, and I missed it, I
apologize.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com