Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Miss Manners kicks...grapefruit

From: brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1992 01:11:54 -0800
Subject: Miss Manners kicks...grapefruit
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
State_Of_Sanity: Not applicable.

The following was created and performed by Melissa D. Caldwell:
|barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) writes:
|> We went and let the weirdness in, naively, idealistically, hopefully, but
|> we still have the key, we can change our minds and *lock them out* in
|> any number of ways.
|
|Who exactly is "we"?  As long as we have this "us versus them"

      If my roommate wasn't sleeping, I'd laugh.  From what I can tell, you're
a defender (and rightly so) of sarcasm.  What brand of sarcasm do you recognize
if you didn't see it in Jorn's post?

|mentality, flaming will continue.  I really do understand why
|you made the proposals you did, Jorn.  Most people do not like conflict
|and disagreement.  I do not- but I will not allow anyone to bad mouth
|me publicly without a response.  If that makes you uncomfortable, I'm

     Hey, we agree.  Unfortunately, you also believe that it's nice to bring
everyone on the list up on your revenge.  If there's conflict, take it to
personal mail.
     If you want publicity through conflict, you're succeeding.  But don't
claim righteousness with a knife in your off hand.  Cynthia doesn't (or at
least, hasn't) responded to email for I opine the same reason.  What about
you?

|sorry. There is nothing I can do about that, other than suppress
|_my_ opinions and feelings, which is something I refuse to do.

     Good.  Really.

|Unless I am mistaken, this is an open forum, and as such, it is my
|right to speak freely.  You (or anyone else for that matter) do not
|have to agree with me, you don't have to like what I have to say, but
|you cannot deny my right to speak.  Doing so constitutes censorship,
|and we've already been through that discussion...

     No joking?  We talked about censorship?  Gosh, what have I missed?
     Sarcasm 201.
     It's also your right to have guests over and puke on the floor in front
of them.  An extreme example it is, but an accurate example nonetheless.

| Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
| The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
| {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
| mdc@bsbbs.UUCP                              {through a gunsight}

      Material in {} added by yours truly.
--

Mail only & info via finger:  KT@uiuc.edu  |            Ken.