Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dax Peel Sessions CD / Re: In a Warm Room

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1992 17:01:48 -0800
Subject: Dax Peel Sessions CD / Re: In a Warm Room
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

First off, a news item.  The Peel Sessions disc for Danielle Dax has been
released; there's a review of it in the latest issue of Option.  Has anyone
tracked down a copy yet?  It's a domestic US release (UK also, I think).

In article <9201301608.AA18361@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> barger@ils.nwu.EDU writes:

>It's interesting to me to see thru email how deeply shared my views are, in
>certain corners, and it encourages me to carry this on.

For the record, at least _one_ piece of email was sent to Jorn expressing
a different opinion.  I don't know if he got it before he posted the above.

>I'm realizing this morning that probably the "cut" between the 'Rudis' and
>the 'Homegrounders' is also the cut between fans who have no personal
>artistic urges, and fans who are on the path of self-discovery thru
>creative effort.

That's a very conceited assumption, IMHO.  You sure seem to have a polarized
attitude toward Kate fans.  You don't leave much room for Kate fans who have
both sensitive and sarcastic aspects.  Do you think that everyone is either
a "caring nurturer" (not Jorn's words %) or a raving s/he-bitch?

>Everyone who has set out on the latter path will remember
>how hollow *heckling* suddenly sounded, once you'd started imagining being
>on the receiving end.

Yes, and _we_ remember that you don't run away and hide from hecklers, you
learn to ignore them or give 'em a taste of their own medicine (Sandra
Bernhard exemplifies the latter).  Unless you're going to just write/sing/play
for your own little private circle, you have to deal with the real world from
time to time, and it includes people who are sarcastic, critical, and/or rude
to varying degrees.  Do you think that there is no such thing as pretentious-
ness?  That the knife of sarcasm is _never_ needed?  Geez, a world without
sarcasm, I think I'll shoot myself... %)

>But these kids who've never dared to make a personal artistic experiment,

How do you know this??  "Kids"?

"You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more."  -- the "Checkers" speech
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com
..!{uunet|texsun|cs.utexas.edu|decwrl|decvax}!csccat!larry