Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Miss Manners kicks ass

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1992 15:40:00 -0800
Subject: Re: Miss Manners kicks ass
To: clout!wiretap.spies.com!love-hounds

Vickie here. Jorn's pissed and doesn't want to take it anymore:

> Sheee-it.  Look at the mess this place has gotten into!  Me'n'Ron Hill
> are about to start a long, dweeb'n'girly-boy thread about the songs,
> starting with the demo-tapes.

I think that sort of project is a fine idea.

> But I think before I start we need to get a sense of how people feel
> about this outspoken sub-group that enjoys seeing people's feelings
> hurt.

I think we all know who you're referring to here. I've been honest and
stated my feelings before. There are always going to be people who
piss on other people under the guise of "trying to keep perspective"
and the more they rationalize their "right" to be rude and thoughtless,
the more I realize that I don't particularly want to be part of this
forum. I still keep on reading gaffa because I love Kate and I love all the
truly wonderful people I have met here. The BSB+ arena haven't driven me away
yet, but they have driven lots of others away. No, I can't let myself
off the hook either, I've done my share to drive people away and I
truly regret it, but I have tried to keep my mouth shut recently. I even
flamed Cynthia via e-mail about her "fat-assed" remark to keep it out of
the newsgroup, but it still ended up in gaffa. Not through me though.

> Which of these would people prefer?
>
> 1) Put them in a kill file on Spies when they be rude, so they can read
> but not post... at least until they acknowledge that rudeness is not
> acceptable.  (They can have their own newsgroup: rec.music.gaffa.badvibes,
> or mailing list: HellHounds!)

HeeHa! Wish I'd thought of those for my splinter list.

> 2) Have two versions of Love-Hounds (the mailing list), one with assholes,
> one, via a kill file, without.  Let people choose, but post all messages,
> even the vulnerable ones, for the assholes to sputter over.

Hmmm, interesting idea. What about a "nice" person who occasionally goes
into kamakazie mode? I've done my share of flaming and just because I
was fighting for the "emotionals" doesn't excuse the times I've been rude
myself. If I stooped to their level, that makes me just as bad and I would
go into the kill file too.

> 3) Start a private mailinglist for the tenderfolk, the girlyboys and
> boylygirls, and crosspost or not, as we fucking well choose, you sorryass
> unenlightened parasitic *dicks*. (With a kiss kiss cross cross kiss ;^)
> (That's from Finnegans Wake).

Wow, when Jorn gets mad, it's serious business. Jorn is one of the
sweetest-tempered people I've ever met. Folks, though this has the
makings of a humongous flame war, I think these things should be
discussed. It can't possibly be a rational discussion, unfortunately.
Cynics on their rude high-horses and emotionals with their hearts
bared will never get along. It's unsolvable, I fear.

> We went and let the weirdness in, naively, idealistically, hopefully, but
> we still have the key, we can change our minds and *lock them out* in
> any number of ways.

A few bad apples spoil the whole batch....such a shame.

> Shall we debate for a week and then count heads?

Count me in as a hopeless, unrepentant "emotional" (and damn proud of it!)

Vickie                        "There is a road straight to my heart"
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us     ________
                             |_  _ | _   The Happy Rhodes mailing list
"We're waking up             |__|_ ||_|  ecto-request@athos.rutgers.edu
 yes it's good"                          Jessica Dempski-Moderator/Goddess