Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vishal's post, re: Jorn's post, re: gaffa, disre: Cynthia

From: brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1992 13:30:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Vishal's post, re: Jorn's post, re: gaffa, disre: Cynthia
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
State_Of_Sanity: Not applicable.

The following was created and performed by news@fstop.csc.ti.com:
                                           ^^^^read as Vishal

|Harry, I wasn't referring to your flatulation!  I was referring to these
|idiots who keep posting long, winding articles with absolutely no KATE
|CONTENT!!  Its the same old shit has been flying around for months now!!
|Why do you people post so frequently and so much ?  Get off those key boards
|and get a life!!!

     That's true to a point, but several people have brought up interesting
topics for discussion concerning Kate, all/most of which have been ignored,
by most of the list, including me.  It's not only the flatulence, IMHO, but
the fact that there's not much else going on.
     In other words, let's start talking about the interesting Kate stuff,
not the other garbage.  Now, it _is_ fun to talk to folks that we've come to
know over the list, but love-hounds aren't garbage disposal engineers, and
damaging the list we've all come to know and love is probably not on the top
of everyones' chore list.

|And Cynthia, you can repeat "I can bitch, I can bitch,..." all you like, but
|you really don't have a clue about bitching.  Lame assed pseudo-bitching is
|more like it!!

     True, but the idea is that being a bitch gets her attention.  We all
would like to force a rancid sock down her throat (well, not all) but then
again we're too nice, so we just try to ask her to stick to the discussions.
If you do that in the group, she flames back with increasingly abusive and
childish posts, claiming to be unstuckup, and generally a more open person.
     The crock that this may be, giving her the attention is what she seems
to be driving for.  You can't argue with a child's reasoning, and for that
reason, it's probably best to start ignoring the stupid parts that leak into
gaffa.  Stupidity can burn on any fuel, including other stupidity, and
Cynthia is on a fuel conversion binge.  There's some intelligence in the
stupidity, considering she is an adult, and probably a nice one at that.
But that's all that we should pay attention to, IMHO, and that's what IMHO
would rightly flatter her more than being a DemiGoddess of Bitchdom.
     Of course there's always talking via personal mail, but Cynthia doesn't
respond to that.  I'm not enough of an audience, apparently, for which I may
be significantly fortunate given what the odds would say I'd be an audience
to.
     What it all boils down to is this:  It's not one person's fault, it's
most of our faults (this does indeed include me, for those looking for a
phrase to flame,) and we need to respond and consider Kate, and ignore the
exploding S/N ratio.  There are notable exceptions of hounds who have stayed
out of the crap pockets of gaffa, and remain clean of the mess.  Ed (the other
one ;-), Doug, Andy & IED, etc.  Just ignore it.  It took me too long to
think it out.  Has anyone considered rec.music.gaffa reaching the S/N of
rec.music.misc?  Not a pretty thought, is it?  8-O  :-)

The following was created and performed by Jorn Barger:

>Sheee-it.  Look at the mess this place has gotten into!  Me'n'Ron Hill
>are about to start a long, dweeb'n'girly-boy thread about the songs,
>starting with the demo-tapes.

     :-)

>But I think before I start we need to get a sense of how people feel
>about this outspoken sub-group that enjoys seeing people's feelings
>hurt.

>Which of these would people prefer?

>1) Put them in a kill file on Spies when they be rude, so they can read
>but not post... at least until they acknowledge that rudeness is not
>acceptable.  (They can have their own newsgroup: rec.music.gaffa.badvibes,
>or mailing list: HellHounds!)

     This should never be a possibility.  If the person is being rude and
damaging enough, their sysadms will punch out their accounts.  No one on
the list is near that extreme a situation.  Voting for membership is
totally contrary to the charter, if you will, of the group, and all of
USENET for that matter.  #1 is simply not an option.

>2) Have two versions of Love-Hounds (the mailing list), one with assholes,
>one, via a kill file, without.  Let people choose, but post all messages,
>even the vulnerable ones, for the assholes to sputter over.

     This is basically a mailing list, with a de-"asshole"d digest.  I'd
probably still subscribe to both, but that would be a decent event.  Changing
the current digest into a de-"asshole"d digest would mean 1) Bill would be a
moderator, not a list administrator, and 2) folks without news access, only
mail, would _not_ get the whole picture.
     In reality, they're not really "asshole"s, they just have a very
different, and to some offensive input to the group.
     Make your own kill file if you're a rec.music.gaffa reader.  If you're
a mailing list person, we'll have to consider #2.  ;-)

>3) Start a private mailinglist for the tenderfolk, the girlyboys and
>boylygirls, and crosspost or not, as we fucking well choose, you sorryass
>unenlightened parasitic *dicks*. (With a kiss kiss cross cross kiss ;^)
>(That's from Finnegans Wake).

     :-)  The humor impaired can flame me directly instead of the group or
Jorn.  That's funny folks.  If it isn't to you, reread it until you laugh.
"That's what it's all a bout."

>We went and let the weirdness in, naively, idealistically, hopefully, but
>we still have the key, we can change our minds and *lock them out* in
>any number of ways.

     Yes, but they key locks the wierdness out, too.  That key should be at
the bottom of Baikal.

>Shall we debate for a week and then count heads?

     The ones rolling on the ground, too?  ;-)

     A couple of little Kate bits here, don't hit the 'f' key (stands for
flame.  :-)
     The CD Boxed Set in the UK is 104 pounds, which is about $192.  Now,
I can certainly defend the relative value of the US price of the set (at the
absolute _top_, $200, with most significantly below.)  The UK set is priced
at 13 pounds per disc, which may not be the bargain price, but it is about
average for a CD in the UK from what I hear, and is IMHO fairly defendable.
     IMHO, they should have reduced the price of the albums to the prices
they're going for separately, and kept the price for TWWI&II to 13p, maybe
higher due to content.  Selection wasn't as nice as could be asked, but
overall, I don't think the Boxed Set is a ripoff, merely unsatisfactory to
one of the most Kate-knowledgeable groups of people.  Commercially speaking,
EMI was not exactly targetting us, and to be monetarily successful, they
can't target small groups, by definition.  It sucks, but there it is.
     Not that I'm not pissed that it's $200 in local stores (:-) but I
think some of the negative reaction was a bit exaggerated.
     Eric Clapton?  I have no qualms at all with the man, but from what I've
heard of his 'tar playing, it's not exactly crystal clear to see how his
style would fit into Kate's music.  I'm not very knowledgeable about the
grand scope of his work, anyone have any examples of his style that would
throw some light on what part he may take and what kind of KaTeness he'd be
playing in?  Blues Kate...Hmm...
     Waiting for the lithograph single to pop up in a store near me...

|- Vishal

     And folks, all flames to my email address.  I promise response, and
gaffa is spared the extra bandwidth.  Time to count to ten and replace
gaffa's spark plugs, I think.

--
Mail only & info via finger:  KT@uiuc.edu  |            Ken.
This composition is 100% personal opinion. |  brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu