Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy

From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1992 12:35:03 -0800
Subject: Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Sender: nessus@media.mit.edu

> From:	ames!ultra!corin!keving@uunet.uu.net (Kevin W. Gurney)

> Does the term "to ring" mean to visit, in addition to meaning to
> call on the telephone, in British English?  I had always assumed
> since the song has snippets of answering machine messages in it,
> that "the machine" was simply the answering machine.

I think people in England have doorbells, just like we do.  I don't
know whether or not in England the postman always rings twice.  In any
case, the line could easily be a reference to both of Kate's machines.

> From:	larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)

>> [|>oug on Danielle Dax:] These two records are combined on one
>> Japanese import CD called *Up Amongst The Golder Spires*.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin... would you please give a
> label name and catalog # if you know them?  I had always thought that
> this stuff was out of print on LP and unavailable on CD.  Are any tracks
> omitted?  How much (gulp) did it cost?

First off, I should make a slight correction.  "Golder" up there
should be replaced with "Golden" -- *Up Amongst The Golden Spires*.
Sorry for the typo.  I don't have the CD here -- I'll have to remember
to write down info on it when I go home.  Remind me if I forget.  I
paid $32 for mine (ouch!), from Lunch for Your Ears in Soho (in
Manhattan).  I'm sure Manny there would mail you one for enough bux.
Tower Records has been known to have it on occasion and it was either
my ex-girlfriend or Drukface who found it in a used record store for
$8.

> From:	Scott Telford <st@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

> Hmm...didn't know this. Was this her flat in Lewisham, the big house
> in Eltham, or the cottage in Kent?

It was somewhere in London -- that's all I remember Kate saying about
the location in the interview I read.  What part of London, I don't
know.

>> Does the term "to ring" mean to visit, in addition to meaning to call on
>> the telephone, in British English?

> No!

So, they don't have doorbells in England?  What a strange place....

> Also, (pedantic trival point) KaTe must have written most of TD during
> 1981, when she was 22-23 - some time before 25 8^).

Yes, sorry for the poor arithmetic on my part.  The comment about
angst still aplies, though.

|>oug

"Don't shoot! We're Siamese priests."  -- John Belushi and Bill Murry