Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy

From: jessica@athos.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1992 15:12:37 -0800
Subject: Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

st@dcs.ed.ac.UK (Scott Telford) writes:

>> Interesting, Doug. I had always interpreted that line to mean, "When they
>> call me on the phone, I let my answering machine let them (i.e. their voice)
>> into the room.", like when people screen their calls.

>Exactly what I thought.

Mmm I had never thought that.

>> Does the term "to ring" mean to visit, in addition to meaning to call on
>> the telephone, in British English?

>No!

I don't really tihnk it's used here, either. you might "call" on
someone, and that would mean dropping by physically, not telephoning,
but i can't actuall ytihnk of anyone using "ring" to mean stopping by.
However, I've always assumed that's what Kate meant in the song. I'm
not qute sure why, but it seems a logical use of the word in my mind.

>Also, (pedantic trival point) KaTe must have written most of TD during
>1981, when she was 22-23 - some time before 25 8^).

Perhaps it's not unusual for people to feel a lot of stress,etc.. at
25, but might i point out that kate is far from usual ;) But serious,
I think making the generalization at all isn't a good idea unless
really good surveys have been done, and recently.  I don't know many
people who've all had stressful periods at the same ages. or maybe
people these days are just more diverse in experiences than they used
to be - increased education and communication probably leads to this.

	      jessica

	      --
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||