Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What is a KaTeFan?

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1992 09:37:43 -0800
Subject: Re: What is a KaTeFan?
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

In article <1992Jan20.143246.645@sti.com> stev0@sti.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:
>In article <25360@skye.dcs.ed.ac.uk>, s.telford@ed.ac.UK (Scott Telford) writes:

>[Description of limited-edition RM single deleted]

>Y'know, this reminds me of why I *don't* read "Homeground".  Those fine
>charcoal and pen-and-ink drawingings done by oh-so-sensitive >arteests< do
>not make me think "Oh, this is a very sensitive likeness of Kate."  Instead,
>it makes me think "Oh, here is someone with clearly too much time on their
>hands."

What about "Oh, here somebody with artistic talent, someone who can
actually draw, somebody who can actually begin to capture Kate's
exquisite beauty, something I find an admirable and enviable quality in
a person"? Nah.

> Kinda the same reaction when I see someone type in a 500-line
>interview.  That over-worked cliche G.A.L. is still most appropriate.  Y'know,
>I think there are three stages of KaTe Fandom:

I hope you're not getting at Ron here. I'm sure all true KaTefans
(whether vanilla, (tm) or FanaTiK) are very grateful to Ron for what
he's done. If he feels dediKaTed enough to do this then more power to
his elbow. Hell, I've spent the last week polishing out the scratches
in my TSW CD-single jewelbox....

>1)  The Kate Fan - owns HoL, THS, maybe TD.  Would not recognize them by those
>initials.

The Hole Story? 8^)

>3)  The KaTeFanaTiK - owns all the albums, including import pressings.  Owns
>most, if not all, back issues of "Homeground".  Owns all singles.  Has at
>least three posters.  Owns every Katebook he (gender implication intentional)

So you can't be a KaTeFanaTiK if you're female, huh? I get the feeling
you'll find some people may disagree on that score....

>knows of, including "The Whole Story".  Has bought every Kate Video (as
>opposed to copying them off someone else).  Types in 10-year-old KaTe interviews
>in R.M.G.  Is proud of the "sensitive" drawing he did of KaTe.  If he could,
>would get into fisticuffs over the meaning of "Gaffa".  Never heard of half the
>bands in Billboard's Top 10.  Basically is to Kate what a Trekkie is to Star
>Trek.

Hmmmm....sounds like you're eager to demonstrate you're not a dweeb, or
geek or nerd, or whetever the latest pejorative term is. If you enjoy
spending hours on such "dweebish" activities, then I don't see why you
shouldn't, especially if it can be appreciated by other people. Of
course, maybe thats a dweebish opinion...

Any self-respecting connisseur of *real* music would plead complete
ignorance of half the bands in the Billboard Top 10, if it's anything
like ours...

>P.S. - I'm not accusing Scott (the person who wrote the posting the artical
>that inspired me) of being a lifeless dweeb - I'm accusing "Hannah".

Hannah is obviously making significant amounts of money out of her
own artistic talent. Does that make her a lifeless dweeb? For all you
know she might also do a nice line in portraits of Axl Rose or Michael
Jackson or....

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the