Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWW Japanese Booklet (part 0)

From: "Martin R. Lamb" <martinn@csri.toronto.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1992 11:33:12 -0800
Subject: TWW Japanese Booklet (part 0)
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Really from: Tippi Chai

I got the Box Set Biographical Notes from David Koehler. (Thanks David!)
When I first looked at it, I thought it was identical to the "Chronology"
from _Kate Bush Complete_.  However, a quick comparison reveals that
while many entries are almost exactly the same, each work contains info
that the other one doesn't.  So I guess I *DO* have to translate
the whole thing.

Before I saw it, I was hoping it won't be written in long complicated
proses.  Was I relieved to see that it's in point form!  However, the
transliteration of English proper names into Japanese is really giving me
a hard time.  Luckily a lot of the info is already in _KB Complete_.
Otherwise, I'd never have known that "BAKKUSUREEHEESU" is Bexleyheath!

I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks staring Jan 27 (back to Hong Kong for
Chinese New Year; Kung Hay Fat Choy!*)  I'll do the bulk of the translation
then.  Meanwhile, here are the first few entries to whet your appetite.

The [?] marks mean I'm unsure about those re-transliterations.

===============================
This Women's Work 1958-1990 - The Biographical Notes of Kate Bush
Compiled by Hideyo Itoh

1958: Aug 7
Born Catherine Bush at the Bexleyheath Maternity Hospital, Bexley, Kent,
England.  Her father, Robert John Bush, M.D., was from South Okehampton [?]
and her mother, Hannah, a nurse, was born in Waterford County, [?] Ireland.
Her two elder brothers are John Carder (Jay), then 14, and Paddy, then 6.

1963
The Bush family moved to Australia.

1964
The family stayed for less than a year in Australia, and returned to Kent.
They began their lives in a wooden Victorian mansion at East Wickham Farm.

Sept
Started school at St Joseph Primary School.

1967: Sept
Began violin lessons while at St Joseph Primary School.  Later, her interest
shifted to the piano.

1969: Sept 4
Started school at St Joseph Convent Grammar School.

Influenced by her two brothers, she listened to traditional English and
Irish Folk Music, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Fleetwood Mac, Blind Fish [?],
and other Contemporary Rock artists.

Began basic piano lessons with her father, and played with Paddy on the violin.
Sang alto in the [church] choir.

1970: June
Her first literary work, a poem titled "The Crucifixion", appeared
in _School Magazine 1969-70_ of the St Joseph Convent Grammar School.
In the same issue, her excellent marks in Grade II Violin was praised.

Began composing.

I'll leave y'all hanging there.  Expect the rest of it in a month or so.

*Kung Hay Fat Choy = traditional Chinese New Year greeting meaning
"May you get rich!"
--
"The throw of the rose is all you live for" KB

Tippi Chai
GUEST ON : {decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!martinn  ||  martinn@csri.toronto.edu
Disclaimer: all opinions, pinions and onions expressed herein are solely mine.