Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello Earth quotes

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 17:50:50 -0800
Subject: Hello Earth quotes
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        The song after that is "Hello Earth," and this is the point where
she's so weak that she relives the experience of the storm that took her in
the water, almost from a view: looking down on the earth up in the heavens,
watching the storm start to form - the storm that eventually took her and
that has put her in this situation.
        This track features orchestral arrangements by Michael Kamen.  It
was wonderful working with Michael.  He's a very receptive person to work
with, and the orchestral arrangements that he did for the tracks I felt were
very atmospheric.  It was wonderful for me to watch the layers of this song
go on one by one.  It initially had to be written with the verses
symbolizing the storm's gradual buildup, and the choruses having a great
sense of space and atmosphere - and this I always hoped to be a male choir.
When I first wrote "Hello Earth" I was very much inspired by a male choir
that I'd heard in Herzog's film Nosferatu.  And the verses are a very
different piece of music.  It was all designed so as hopefully to link,
eventually, with this male voice choir which would take us to a very
different place in the song.  They really are meant to symbolize the great
sense of loss, of weakness, at reaching a point where you can accept, at
last, that everything can change.   (1985, KBC 18)

        And, uh...I watched this film called Nosferatu, directed by, um...
Herzog.  And it's beautiful!  And there was this one piece of music that
just haunted me, to the point where I just - I had to use it in the song.
It was exactly what I wanted to say at this point in the music.  And it
was...sort of building the song around that piece.  It was a traditional
piece that, um...I think, uh... was either Russian or Czechoslovakian...
Um... is a Russian piece [laughs] and... uh... It's just so haunting.  I
mean it's a very holy piece of music, in a very pure sense...   (1985,
Homeground)

--
 rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 435-6181