Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: That bit of music in "Hello Earth"

From: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1992 23:49:27 -0800
Subject: Re: That bit of music in "Hello Earth"
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> Some time ago (a couple of years probably), I saw a film - "Nosferatu", I think
> - on television, and was quite surprised to hear the "male choir part" of Kate's
>"Hello Earth". As I believe the film predates the record by a few years, I
>assume this must be a classical work, or something. The record sleeve seems to
>offer no help - can anyone enlighten me about the origins of this music?
>Thanks.

Ok.  The track isn't a "classical" work, except for those of us who call
the work of the early 70s German art-rock crowd "classic" :-).  It's originally
from an album called _Sei Still, wisse ich bin_ by Popol Vuh; I believe the
track in question was the fourth track on the album, "Gemeinsam Assen Sie das
Brot", but I'm not sure.  Anyway, Popol Vuh was a German band that started
in the early 70s, and along with Klaus Schulze and TDream pioneered much
of the current "new age" sound.  The leader of the band, Florian Fricke, was
one of the first German musicians to use synthesizers in the music.  Popol
Vuh released a whole bunch of albums in the 70s and early 80s; I can probably
dig up the titles of them if anyone's interested, but alas most of them
are out of print.  Popol Vuh was also famous for doing a good deal of
soundtrack work for German film director Werner Herzog; among the pieces that
got used for the soundtrack for his film _Nosferatu_ was the piece that you
heard.
  Now take a look at the liner notes on _Hounds of Love_.  Look at the section
where it says "Special thanks to:".  Two of the names there are Florian Fricke
and Werner Herzog.

  If you're interested in hearing more Popol Vuh music that sounds like
"Hello Earth", you might look for their album _Hosianna Mantra_.  It's similar
in style and the "interesting" vocals, and also it's one of the three albums
that are in print :-).
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
  rmtodd@servalan.uucp  New Improved Domain: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com