Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Ninth Wave

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1992 06:25:30 -0800
Subject: The Ninth Wave
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Rich Holmes asks:

>In article <RX1ieB1w164w@netlink.cts.com> rhill@netlink.cts.COM (Ron Hill) writes:
>
>   Hounds of Love (HoL: One side delectably bright, one side deliciously
>   shadowy.  The shadowy side is a never-filmed movie of a drowning woman's
>   last hours in the sea.  Does she survive?  We just don't know, but we hope
>   so. 1985)
>
>Is this interpretation of "The Ninth Wave" canonical?  My own interpretation
>is very different.

Yes and no.  It is unquestionably the story line of the suite, as is obvious
from the lyrics, not to mention KaTe's comments about it and the way the
songs fit into the story.

As to whether or not it's an allegory for something else is entirely up to
you.

There's nothing wrong with differing interpretations of a work of art, whether
visual, aural, or written, even when these interpretations vary from those
originally dreamed of by the artist.

So what is your own very different interpretation?

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |  Life is a lot like the Freak Show     |
|                                |  Nobody laughs when they leave.        |