Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Garden and My Humble Ear

From: carter@sal.lonestar.org (Carter Bennett)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1992 11:12:16 -0800
Subject: The Garden and My Humble Ear
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Comments: Normal User Account

I asked earlier if I should drag this out, and initial replies indicate
that it would be all right to do so.

I have a copy of The Garden, and have been reviewing the lyrics
transcribed therein.  Here are a couple of thoughts I'd like to
throw out, and have the Hounds look over.  Let me know if you agree
or if you think my potato's been bakin' too long.

On HoL, TNW, "Hello Earth" -

   Shuttle comms. prior to opening vocal.
The Garden says:
   "The, uh, tracking data, map data, and pre-planned trajectory
    are all one line on the block."
I hear:
   "The, uh, tracking data, nav data, and pre-planned trajectory
    are all one line on the block."
Reason I think it might be:
   Nav - often used abbreviation for "navigation"

   Vocal effects following first lines:
I hear:
   Hello, Earth.
                  ("Hello, Bush")
   Hello, Earth.
                  ("Hello, Bush")
These are omitted from The Garden.  Perhaps this was inadvertent or
omitted in line with maintaining poetic style.

   Men's choral following "Look at it go!/Look at it go!"

The Garden says:
   "[A men's choral passage in either Czekh or Russian is sung here.]
I'd like to ask:
   Why think they are in any language?  A lot of choral pieces are
   simply syllabic utterings, no real words.  Are there any interviews
   or documentation to support this?

HoL, THW, "Under Ice" -

   Vocal effects following "Silver heels spitting, spitting snow."
The Garden says:
   ("Sonar says...[inaudible]...deep...[inaudible]")
I am hearing:
   ("Sonar searching beep-to-beep, sir.")
Reason I think it's correct:
   This would be an indication that the SONAR receiver is set
   for minimum-maximum ranging, covering the greatest volume.

   Vocal effects following "But, I'm not here."
The Garden says:
   Let me...[indecipherable]"*
I hear:
   Let me in, and don't be long!
I think this is old news.  I have read a posting on r.m.g to the
same effect, but I don't recall the author.

Sorry, I haven't worked out the Latin in "Waking the Witch," but I
hope to get the help of an expert in Ecclesiastical Latin soon (I
studied Classical Latin, may as well have been Greek).  I'm also
working on possibilities for the last German line of "Coffee Homeground."

So, any agreement?  Disagreement?  Is this old news?
Constructive criticism welcome and appreciated!
After all, I am only an egg.

UUCP: carter@sal.lonestar.org  -or-  carter@sdf.lonestar.org
"We are of the going water, and the gone.
 We are of water in the holy land of water."

--
carter@sal.lonestar.org
TurboCit Salamandria -- (214) 238-5539