Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

politics 2

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1992 23:19:52 -0800
Subject: politics 2
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

Andrew Says:

- Oh, and I just remembered the anti-nuclear sentiments of "Breathing".

Kate says:

        "Breathing" and "Army Dreamers" are social comment songs, which you
ain't really done before, have you?
        No.  I've thought a lot about the political aspect - this is when
people label them as Political Songs.  But it's only because the political
motivations move me emotionally.  If they hadn't, it wouldn't have gotten to
me.  It went through the emotional centre - when I thought: "Ah...OW!" And
that made me write.
        The nuclear situation is such a real danger, the fact that buttons
have been pushed and planes have gone into action.  It's something to be
scared of, it really is.  None of us wants it to happen.  We're the
innocents.  Saying something about it from the heart is not going to change
the world or anything, but at least people can think more about it.
        It's good that you've got a big following among very young kids and
are doing this, cos they'll have to know more than just Janet and John books
and Tiswas soon...  [Tiswas was a British television programme which was
ostensibly made for children, but which eventually attracted a large adult
audience, as well.  -  IED]
        So many of them knew, you know.  They hear a lot more than the media
generally give them.  They really understand the song, and I don't think it
frightens them, but it really upsets a lot of them.  That's good - it's not
nice but it's good that that actually got through to them.
        When I wrote the song, it was from such a personal viewpoint.  It
was just through having heard a thing for years without it ever having got
through to me.  'Til the moment it hit me, I hadn't really been moved.  Then
I suddenly realised the whole devastation and disgusting arrogance of it
all.  Trying to destroy something that we've not created - the earth.  The
only thing we are is a breathing mechanism: everything is breathing.
Without it we're just nothing.  All we've got is our lives, and I was
worried that when people heard it they were going to think, "She's
exploiting commercially this terribly real thing." I was very worried that
people weren't going to take me from my emotional standpoint rather than the
commercial one.  But they did, which is great.  I was worried that people
wouldn't want to worry about it because it's so real.  I was also worried
that it was too negative, but I do feel that there is hope in the whole
thing, just for the fact that it's a message from the future.  It's not from
now, it's from a spirit that may exist in the future, a non-existent
spiritual embryo who sees all and who's been round time and time again so
they know what the world's all about.  This time they don't want to come
out, because they know they're not going to live.  It's almost like the
mother's stomach is a big window that's like a cinema screen, and they're
seeing all this terrible chaos.   (1980, Zigzag)

Andrew says:

So are these interpretations correct?   Have I missed any out?   What has
Kate said in recorded interviews about political and social issues?

I says:

        Kate usually echos the above sentiments of not being a politcally
oriented, occasionally though, she has been pushed into talking about
specific issues:

Kate says:

        Your song "Breathing" seems to be written from the point of view of
a fetus about to be born into a post-holocaust world.  One might think from
this and from your being a vegetarian, that you would be opposed to
abortion.  What are your feelings on the morality and legality of abortion?
        I think that is a very difficult subject and something that's far
too easy to generalize about.  But I think that life is something that
should be respected and honored even in a few hours of its conception.
        Do you think that abortion should be illegal?
        I don't feel that I want to comment on that.
        Okay.   (1985, Love-Hounds)

        If you look at it from the point of view of somebody who is
unemployed or finding it hard to make ends meet, writing an album on that
kind of abstract theme could seem like an indulgent exercise.  How would you
respond to that particular criticism?
        I would say, is it right to put this kind of limitation on art?  I
think very visually, when I write things, and I particularly saw this piece
as a visual thing.  Also, I think perhaps it would be more hypocritical of
me to write about a situation that concerns those kind of people.  I don't
think I could understand it enough to make something worthwhile from it.
It's very difficult; I always remember the criticisms of someone like Elton
John - How can someone that rich sing about being poor when they don't
understand it?  Margaret Thatcher, how can she understand it?  When you're
dealing with contemporary situations, you have to be terribly careful not to
insult rather than do what you want to do, which is "Yeah! Come on, let's do
it!" [gestures]
        So tell me, how would you vote in an election, if there was one in
the next week or two?
        That's something I wouldn't want to say.  I think it's a very
personal thing, voting.  I also think it's a crazy situation we are in,
where there is not much choice. You look at the people who are up there, who
we have to choose between - Is that really a solution?  I don't think it is
at all, is it?
        So what's your opinion of Margaret Thatcher, then?
        I don't feel I am a political thinker at all. I don't really
understand politics.
        On the other hand, you must have opinions about her.
        About her. I don't know, I don't know what I think of her,
or any of them.  I think it's incredible, really, don't you, the people we
have to choose between?
        I think that there is a shocking limitation in what they aspire to.
        Also, there's the big fib that everyone has, that they do aspire to
these things - but it's just a promotional thing, to get them to number one!
 And even if someone in that position wanted to help, could they?  Could
they?  Because they are so tied in by the whole bureaucracy of the thing,
it's like a big game that's much deeper than it looks, really.
        But Margaret Thatcher - she has basically attempted to dismantle the
social welfare system.
        That's horrific, that's really terrible, the hospitals...
But I don't know if there is anyone besides her at the moment who
would really do it better, would they?  I don't know, I wish there
was, it would be good.  It would be great to stop National Health going down
the drain - It's disgusting to think of people having to die because they
don't have the facilities to care for some people.  But the unemployment
thing is - I don't know.  I don't like what governments do, but I can't talk
about individuals because I don't know enough about them.  I really don't.
I'm ignorant.   (1985, Hot Press)

--
 rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 435-6181