Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ch0mpc@gdt.bath.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1991 03:33:26 -0800
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: ch0mpc@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Matt Clifton)
Subject: Suspended in GIFa...
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1991 11:33:18 GMT

   Yes, I know the title's awful, but I thought it'd make one or two
people read it anyway, just for the cringe value. Anyway, I'm posting this
to tell you a short story. It's sad, but true.

   Last year, when I was young and single and wild and free and
thought USENET was a really great thing, our university had access to
anonymous FTP. Well, marvellous, I thought. And then, via this
B-Board, I came to hear of these things called 'GIF' pictures.
Fabulous scanned pictures of Kate Bush and...well, other things, but
none as sharp or brilliant or focused or filled with such sheer poetry
as the Kate pictures. Smashing, I thought. So, having wandered about
the American universities for a while, and brought a few GIFs back
home to roost, as it were, I began to hunt around for a GIF viewer.
Ah, but those were naive days! Don't laugh too violently, but all I
had access to in those days were BBC terminals, and I thought I could
view GIF pictures on them...enough to make you weep. Dispirited, I
erased the files.
   However, this year, being in the wise and slightly cynical position
of having survived the previous year, I find we also have several
whole labs of Sun machines, which no-one had told me about! Oh, joy!
Oh, rapture! Oh, I've erased the GIFs! And, of course, there are
literally millions of GIF viewers and sample GIFs floating around the
system. But none so bright or wondrous or..etc..etc... And the upshot
of it all is, I've now forgotten the hostname where all the Kate
pictures are. All I know is, it's in alaska, and I suspect the letter
'h' precedes one of the words in the hostname. So I've got a lot to go on.
So I beg you. I beseech you. I get down on my knees and pound the very
ground before your feet, please, please, put me out of my misery and
let me know the site where the Holy Grail of GIFs is stored. Or I may
go mad and start saying things like 'Why didn't Kate sing live on Wogan?'

  I wait with baited breath and sweaty palms for anyone's reply.

                   Matt. An Englishman with Bush Fever.

--
    "Typical", sighed Sarah Jane, as the trans-dimensional gateways bustled
in the disordered queue in front of her house.