Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Clive Backham <mcdd1!clive@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 07:33:20 -0800
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>

A contribution for rec.music.gaffa:

In article <9112171211.AA25195@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, Stephen Thomas writes:
> In article <m0ktbqK-0000mBC@crash.cts.com> rhill@pnet01.cts.COM (Ronald Hill) writes:
> >Ron "Anxiously waiting to hear about the Wogan performance" Hill
>
> The performance itself was grand, if I'm any judge, but I did think that
> maybe, just maybe, she didn't look quite as fresh-faced as she used to.

Agreed. Let's face it, Kate's well into her early thirties now.
Isn't it refreshing to see an artist who was always known for her
beauty accept the aging process and not hide it with masses of makeup?

> Her hair, btw, was ... um ... artistically disarranged.  I haven't managed
> to see the video yet, so I can't compare the performance to that.

The Wogan performance was fundamentally the same routine as the part
of the video that shows the band playing. I found it rather strange that
she adopted exactly the same face-turned-round-nose-slightly-in-the-air
pose for the "Rocket Man" chorus line, even though this time there was no
wind machine to blow her hair about. It works in the video, but seems pretty
peculiar in a live performance.

> I was watching it with a friend who happens to be more an Elton John
> than Kate Bush fan, and she liked it.  She thought the reggae treatment
> worked quite well, and all in all, it was a good cover.

I played Rocket Man and Candle in the Wind to an Elton John fanatic
last night. He said that he had heard _RM_ on the radio and thought it
was poor, but agreed it sounds better on a decent stereo.
He absolutely hated _CitW_

Someone else present, who is neither a Kate nor Elton fan, said he liked
_RM_, regarding it as "funny", a none-too-serious romp.

My opinion? Well, I never much liked Elton's original _RM_, so Kate's
is an improvement. I too think it's done with a good degree of humour,
and basically enjoy it. As for _CitW_, now that is one of my favourite
Elton John songs. It's one of the few songs that always sends shivers
down my spine. Kate's version doesn't do that for me.

On another track, I would really like to get a copy of "Cloudbusting",
but can't get access to the wiretap.Spies.com FTP site. Would it be
too cheeky to ask if anyone could email a copy to me?
At this stage, just email me that you can do it, and I'll reply
saying whether to send it: let's not eat up too much bandwidth :-)

Clive Backham		   email: clive@mcddl@uknet.uucp
McDonnell Douglas (UK)	      (please ignore the incomplete From: line
phone: +44-442-273400          generated by our brain-damaged mailer)