Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Candle In The Wind revelations (really about charts)

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 09:13:54 -0800
Subject: Re: Candle In The Wind revelations (really about charts)
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

In article <m0ku0C6-0000w5C@crash.cts.com>, rhill@pnet01.cts.COM
(Ronald Hill) writes:
>         Could someone tell me what the EXACT release date of the "Rocket Man"
> single in Britain.  And also Scott said that it made #12 on the Gallop chart
> and #8 on the Network chart.  Which is the _real_ chart, ie. the one most
> people go by.  I'd *REALLY* need someone to answer these two questions as I
> need the info for Cloudbusting.

Rocket Man was released in the UK officially on Monday, Nov 25. It
also hit the streets that day. At least, it hit the street where I
bought it!

The Gallup chart is the one the BBC uses. The Network chart is
compiled by MRIB for the independent TV companies and independent
local radio companies.  Yes, it is confusing. I think the Gallup chart
is the closest to being "official" (since the BBC is usually
considered more "official" than ITV) - most record shops use this one
in-store.

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the