Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate on Wogan

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1991 08:00:47 -0800
Subject: Kate on Wogan
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

The "Rocket Man" set on Wogan was pretty much the same as the band
scenes in the RM video, except that Davey Spillane and his Uillean
pipes weren't there. I would have thought that they could have got
somebody to stand in for him - I'm sure Paddy could have done as
convincing a performance on the pipes as he did with the cello at
the '86 BPI awards....8^) (he could've worn one of his funny hats too!)

Predictably, the set was dark with an unconvincing starry background
and lots of tinfoil round the edges. The photographic direction was
pretty lousy, given that it was almost certainly a pre-recorded
performance. KaTe didn't seem quite as relaxed as I've seen her
before, neither did Alistair Anderson (the concertinist). Del and
Charlie (I think it looked like Charlie) seemed to be enjoying
themselves though - when the Uillean pipes started, Del looked as if
he was going to break into an Irish jig!

As Stephen describes, Kate was wearing a dark skirt suit (as in the
video) but this time wearing tights and high heels. She wiggled her
way through the choruses again, but this time a bit slower, which
seemed to match the music better. She also seemed to strum her toy
guitar/ukelele in time to the music, something she didn't quite
achieve in the video 8^)

They were faded out after about 4 minutes. Can't a 5 minute single get
played in its entirity *anywhere*?

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the