Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Candle in the Wind

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1991 11:06:38 -0800
Subject: Candle in the Wind
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

I heard "Candle In The Wind" today.  Twice- the first time the turntable
was running at about 47 rpm, and it sounded a little weird.  Unfortunately,
at the right speed it wasn't much better.

FYI, there's no noise on the 45, so it can't be a Del-induced screwup, can
it?  That way, the noise would be on the vinyl too.

And the cover photos aren't the best I've ever seen, but they don't approach
the awfulness of the Option cover.  So JCB didn't get at them with the airbrush,
so what.  I don't especially like the poses, so what.

CitW?  Well, she tried.  I don't mind the synths, but I've always HATED electric
piano, and this time was no different.  If she's doing the new album on the
piano first like she claimed last year, couldn't she have hooked up the mike
to it and done it acoustic?

And my first thought was, Nice voice, Kate.  But then I thought about it,
and I realized that that may have been dictated by the song itself.  She
took liberty upon liberty with the instrumental, but the voice line seems
to be pretty much the same.  And since that was originally written for Elton
John by himself, it's quite possible this particular bit of notes didn't
quite fit nicely into her range, so it was either Jig of Life it or sound
like she digitally remastered a few of her demos.  She chose the latter,
probably because some of the notes she was required to sing wouldn't have
fit nicely into the former.

This is only a theory, mind you, and I'm not much of a musician.  But I do
know that there are a few notes in the middle of my range I can't hit without
sounding like an adolescent boy, and maybe with this song she could have
run into the same problem.  Or maybe not, she's had voice training and is
able to deal with that, who knows?  Like I said, it's only a theory.

Vickie, I've only listened to it twice, so I can't say anything about emotive
content or what's hiding behind the surface.  I'm sure there's something
there (at least, I hope there is) to save this in my mind, but for now, I
really don't have much to say about it other than Better luck in the album,
which I HOPE you're taking your time with!
          |           	         Meredith Tarr                      |
	  | "I want to be a scholar, but I really can't be bothered |
	  |  Ooh just gimme it quick, gimme gimme gimme"- Kate Bush |
	  |		   mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                 |