Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Millions of Stars and Candles in the Wind (duck!)

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1991 10:41:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Millions of Stars and Candles in the Wind (duck!)
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

I am not katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie).  I didn't say:
>The video I have is "From A Million Miles" and I (gasp!) agree with you
>wholeheartedly about this album. It's one of my favorites for the year.

Ditto.  It's definitely straight into my Top Ten of 1991 (not that this has
been a great year for Killer Dope Shit... I'm having a really tough time
coming up with more than five, in fact.)

>I call them "ethereal" (with an eclectic, ethnic, tough and dance beat edge
>though, not ethereal like Enya) and I know Jon wouldn't really classify them
>as such, but my definition of ethereal emcompasses a wide range, from
>Virgina Astley to Beautiful Pea Green Boat to Dead Can Dance. I don't know
>what else to call them.

How about dance music with ethereal female vocals and a healthy dose of
sampled islamic wails?  You can definitely label this one dance music -
hell, "I Am What I See" layers the beaten-to-death Funky Drummer riff under
its surface!  There's also a lot of Public Enemy samples - including
Security Of The First World (made famous by Madonna as Justify My Love).

>Single Gun Theory  _Millions, Like Stars In My Hands, Daggers In My Heart,
>Wage War" Nettwerk (IRS) X4-13113. That's the number of the promo cassette I
>have. I got it free, but I like it so much I plan to buy it on CD. That's
>the highest recommendation I can think to say.

According to Jacqui Hunt (lead singer) via Tom Ellard (of Severed Heads,
one-time SGT producer) via Al Crawford (cool net.person), the IRS/Nettwerk
edition is somehow "mangled" and the only true definitive version is the
Volition (Australian) release.  So, start hunting!  Al is trying to find out
exactly what Jacqui means by "mangled" so stay tuned.

>Does anyone know where that (silly, IMHO) album title came from? How about
>the (stupid, IMHO) band name?

The album title is probably just "Like Stars In My Hands" because that's all
it says on the spine of the CD, and that phrase is in larger type than the
rest of the phrases.  The band name comes from the Kennedy assassination,
and I must say that I am shocked that you didn't recognize the reference!
(This makes three Kennedy assassination band names that I know of - Dead
Kennedys, Single Gun Theory, and The Jack Rubies - anyone know any others?)

>Say Jon, I don't have any liner notes, will you tell me a couple of things?

No.  Oh, OK.

>First, is that David Sylvian singing on that one song?

First, which "one song" would that be?  In any case, no, there is no credit
for any other vocalist except for the sampled Indian male/female chants...

>If so, I have friends
>who would love to know about this album.

Too bad, they should learn to love it on its own strengths and not because
of any supposed Sylvian connection.

>Second, would you be a dear and
>send me the song timings? This cassette will have to hold me for a few more
>weeks and it's really hard to know where some songs end and begin to know
>the correct titles.

Single Gun Theory - Like Stars In My Hands (Nettwerk/IRS CD X2-13113)

1  Closest To My Heart				0.29
2  From A Million Miles				4.32
3  Take Me Back					2.45
4  Words Written Backwards			4.22
5  Man Of Straw					4.02
6  Angels Over Teheran				4.07
7  Wild Blue Seas				1.41
8  I Am What I See				5.01
9  Great Palaces Of Immortal Splendour		4.56
10 Satellite					0.52
11 Surrender					4.44
12 Words Written Backwards (Radio Baghdad Edit)	4.33

Tormented by the futility of life
Yet I can see the stars from a million miles
Are you out there somewhere... transposed...

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.