Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Millions of Stars (Single Gun Theory)

From: raphael@research.canon.oz.au (Andrew Raphael)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1991 22:49:40 -0800
Subject: Re: Millions of Stars (Single Gun Theory)
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0kt3x9-000DkZC@chinet.chi.il.us>
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

>Does anyone know where that (silly, IMHO) album title came from? How about
>the (stupid, IMHO) band name?

The band's name refers to the assassination of President Kennedy of the
USA.  Was there a single gun (Oswald), or many guns (the grassy
knoll)?

What's stupid about the name Single Gun Theory?  It makes as much sense
as any band name does, it's distinctive, and it sounds good.  It's odd
for an Australian band to use references to American history, but it
happens all the time anyway.

I got into SGT by finding Exorcise... in the Australian section of
Redeye, thinking "cute band name, nice cover", discovering they're from
the next suburb, and buying it.

>> their first record, "Exorcise this Wasteland."
>I only *really* like a couple of songs from the
>first album. It's much harder edged than _Millions..._

I find the religious references in Exorcise...  a bit strange, and that
Millions... is much more accessible and pleasant to listen to.  They've
changed a lot since 1987, but haven't we all?
--
Andrew Raphael <raphael@research.canon.oz.au>
   "I've never seen a vibraphone before.