Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The "Rocket Man" single--some opinions and suppositions

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1991 16:53:56 -0800
Subject: Re: The "Rocket Man" single--some opinions and suppositions
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

I am not aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.EDU (Andrew Russ).  I didn't say:
>	Sure, you would all typecast KaTe to sing "Rocket Man", and she
>does, but not in the way you would expect, which is what i like about
>the song.  The reggae arrangement is interesting, and works for me, but
>it's not overdone (i.e. no deep space dub mix).

Too bad, that's exactly what this song could've used.  I really object to
the "polite" watered-down reggae thing.  And again, that Sensual World Snare
Drum is horrible.  But for some reason, I find myself humming bits of this
song a lot.  Fascinating.

>The ambient
>backing vocals are particularly nice to me, but the keyboard fills (the little
>cadences similar to those used in "This Woman's Work") are trite--my only
>complaint.

I agree - it's not my only complaint, but it's one of my major ones.

I think the major problem with this whole endeavor, for me, is that I just
don't like the songs.  I never was much of an Elton John fan, and these
songs do not persuade me to change my opinion.  So, I can't really blame it
all on Kate.  If she had covered Skinny Puppy or something it would've been
more appealing, I guess.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.