Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: All records of Elton John???

From: "Dan Riley" <dsr@lns598.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1991 10:09:08 -0800
Subject: Re: All records of Elton John???
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Ben Siemerink <bjhs@hplb.hpl.hp.com> writes:
> But I read an interview yesterday in which she was asked by whom she was
> most influenced and she mentioned a lot of people, but NOT Elton John! Has
> anyone ever though about this?

She's certainly mentioned Elton John before as an influence.  See, for
example, the Keyboard or Musician interviews from 1985:

     Who was the biggest influence on your piano playing?
     "In my teens, it was mostly Elton John. For me, he was the only
person who was writing songs and then playing and singing them
together. I thought his piano playing was fantastic and quite jazzy in
some ways. What I liked was that his accompaniment was always so right
for the songs. He was definitely a big inspiration for me in my teens.
I think my favorite keyboard players are more keyboard players than
pianists. And I love the stuff that Brian Eno does. The sounds he comes
up with are really brilliant."

and

     Going back to the piano, surely your playing didn't evolve in a
musical vacuum?
      "Well, when I was about twelve, that sort of age, I was such a
big fan of Elton John. I think really he was the first musical hero I
had in that I aspired so much to what he was doing. I was just sort of
starting to muck around writing songs, and then I saw this guy and
he was the only one I'd ever seen who wrote songs and accompanied
himself on the piano. And his playing was brilliant, and still today
I think his playing is fantastic. It's always so right for his songs."

As far as I can tell, if KaTe is asked about her musical influences,
she'll mention a variety of people.  Ask her about who influenced her
piano playing, and she'll always mention Elton John.

-dan