Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: "Cliff L. Knox" <clknox@sunee.waterloo.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1991 10:58:54 -0800
To: watmath!rec-music-gaffa@watmath.waterloo.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: clknox@sunee.waterloo.edu (Cliff L. Knox)
Subject: Re: Star Trek 6
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1991 18:58:45 GMT

In article <9112062234.AA29409@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> JASONP@s35.prime.COM writes:
>I just saw Star Trek 6 a few hours ago. Two thumbs
>up from here. Trekkies, run, don't walk, and see this movie.
>
>Anyways...The last line of the movie is 'Second Star on the Right,
>Straight on to morning', which we all recognize as
>the refrain from Kate's When You Wish Apon a Star medley.
>
>So...is this pure Kate? Or, did she take it from one of the
>peter pan songs? I truely don't recall that line anywhere else
>but in Kate's song...but it's been a *long* time....

Sorry to disappoint, but it does not come from the medley on (if memory
serves) Lionheart. It is clearly a reference to the original Peter Pan.
Now that the lyrics are starting to fall back into my head, I realize
that the song to which you are referring is about fantasizing oneself as
Peter Pan.

Probably the line was used because it fit. It reinforced to childish
curiousity and sense of adventure in the Enterprise crew. Also, it may
have been a distinct nod to "Hook," which Paramount will also be releasing
this week. You be the judge.

Cliff Knox