Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

News submission for rec.music.gaffa

From: news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1991 10:52:04 -0800
Subject: News submission for rec.music.gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: dlk5n@sonja.math.Virginia.EDU (Dan King)
Subject: RM/CITW cd single
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 91 18:51:52 GMT

I just got the new Rocket Man cd single.  I got
it at Plan 9 in Charlottesville, Va.  This is a small
but eclectic record shop near the University of Virginia.
They also have a sister store in Richmond.  Historically,
Plan 9 has been excellent in keeping KT's stuff in stock.
If anybody is still looking for the box set, I believe they
may still have one.  I think the price was around 180 bucks.
Pretty stiff but there doesn't seem to be that many
copiest still in circulation.

I think Rocket Man is a great song!  I am glad to
align myself with the minority of people on this newsgroup
who think this song is pure fun.  Very danceable, very
high-spirited (despite the lyrics) and yes, very fun!
I'm shocked that so many people here in gaffa-land have
given mediocre to bad reviews.  True, it is no masterpiece--
The Ninth Wave it is not--but nevertheless it a cleverly
imaginative cover and tribute.

The cd single also comes with Candle in the Wind
and its instrumental version.  I have to admit I like
the instrumental version better.  To say that it is
an instrumental version is not exactly accurate--
there are voices accenting the underlying chords.
IMHO its these harmonious voices that make this instrumental
version hauntingly pleasing.

If you haven't heard these songs yet and, in particular,
if you haven't sought out these songs because of bad
reviews, I recommend you consider rushing to your phone to make a request
at your local university radio station or running to your
closest progressive record shop and placing an order for the
cd single.  You may be pleasantly surprised!

..but she does look awfully old and sad on the picture on
the cover and inside the cd single--a mood not reflected in
her upswing rendition of Rocket Man.  I wonder why they picked this
picture?

Dan King                 *  We keep our voices as guarded secrets,
Dept.of Math             *  Wait for a while and we will surely sing
University of Virginia   *  With all the wonder of birds!
dlk5n@virginia.edu       *               -Innocence Mission