Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Candle in the Wind

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 07:34:10 -0800
Subject: Candle in the Wind
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

In the excitement of actually seeing the Rocket Man video I forgot
to post any comments about Candle in the Wind.

I picked up the single last weekend. All four formats were prominently
displayed in the local majors (HMV Our Price). My initial reaction on
hearing CITW was rather the same as when I heard Rocket Man. That is,
I was not moved to any great reaction either pro or con. On a second hearing
I was struck by the feeling the the last two thirds of the song worked
much better for me than the first third. For some reason I felt that Kate's
voice only really got on top of the song after the first verse or so.

On further listens this impression is no longer so strong but it has not
disappeared entirely - perhaps there were a number of different takes
spliced together. Anyway, I really like the instrumental arrangement that
Kate has done and I also like the prolonged fade out (was this on Elton's
original?). I am sure that like RM, CITW will also be a grower. Taken
together they make an excellent single and they stand up well to repeated
playings. It would be really nice to seeing her perform this at the piano
on Wogan or some similar show.

Happy listening,
	Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk