Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1991 10:54:25 -0800
Subject: Re: MisK.
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

I am not IED0DXM@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU.  I didn't say:
>   IED noticed that Drukman listened to "Rocket Man" (though--alas,
>unsurprisingly--with insufficient care) at |>oug /\lan's invitation.

It wasn't *quite* like that.  Our entourage (including Blast From The Past
Love-Hound Par Excellence Joe Turner) arrived at |>oug's apartment,
whereupon I immediately *requested* that he play it for me.  A number of the
entourage (including Joe) were crestfallen - "you're not going to like it."
"Oh, I'm so SICK of that song..."  But a combination of |>oug's mighty stare
and my persistent whine prevailed and we were treated to the track.

>Since |>oug has expressed a very positive opinion of the single (at
>least of the a-side), IED wonders whether there was any substantive
>argument between Drukman and |>oug about the recording's merits.

Here's what the conversation went like, more or less:

J: "That's IT?"
D: "Whaddya mean THAT'S IT?"
J: "It sounds like someone pushed the `reggae' button on their casio home
synth toy!"
D: "It's GREAT!"
J: "No it isn't!"
D: "Yes it is!"
J: "Why is it great?"
D: "Why ISN'T it great?"  (Those who have spent time with |>oug know that
this is Classic Doug Alan Argument Technique.  I usually get suckered by it.)
J: "Well, it's so... I dunno... unremarkable."
D: "What did you expect?"
J: "From KATE?  I expected something unbelievably mind-blowingly orgasmic!
This is just... well... bland!"
D: "Oh, you just didn't listen to it properly."
J: "What do you mean?"
D: "If you listened to it properly, you'd know how great it is."
(At this point, Bob and Joe chimed in with "oh come on, it's really
ordinary, admit it you silly doug person" remarks, but Doug was quite
adamant.  He said something like, "You people are pathetic - you've lost the
ability to appreciate Kate."  We retorted, "if she'd do something worth
appreciating, we'd be first in line to appreciate it.")

I have to admit that, excellent though Doug's sound system is, I was being
distracted by people waving CDs in my face, not to mention the emotional
rush of hanging out with the Mutant Music Lover crew again, preparing for
the cut and thrust of stimulating intellectual discussion of New Music
("This thing SUCKS."  "No it DOESN'T."  "Yes it DOES."  "You're a TWERP.")

In all fairness, I *do* need to listen to the track a few more times before
arriving at a concrete decision about it, and I fully intend to pick up the
RM/CitW single within the next few days, but that was my initial
impression: distinctly underwhelming.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.