Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Enya and Celtic music.

From: ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1991 17:51:32 -0800
Subject: Re: New Enya and Celtic music.
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@monu0.cc.monash.edu.au (Usenet system)

G'day,

In article <9112030344.AA08665@garnet.berkeley.edu>, deadman@garnet.berkeley.EDU (Ben Haller) writes:

>   Well I just got the new Enya album.  I will agree with previous posters
> that it isn't perhaps as good as her last two, but it is still quite a
> good album (and it may grow on me...)

It will!  Trust me.  Some of these songs are deceptively simple and yet on
second, third, umpteenth listenings, you discover something new.  It's a
wonderful album.

>   One new piece of info: this group has been mentioned maybe once before
> since I started reading r.m.g, but it merits another mention: Mouth
> Music.  If you like track 4 of Enya's new album (Ebudoe), the kind of
> percussion-oriented, swinging Gaelic "waulking song" segment that comprises
> the majority of the song, then you will probably like Mouth Music very
> much.  They take this kind of thing even further.
>   And they're really good in concert.

Mouth Music's new record has been out in Australia for the last month or so.
It is a very different type of celtic music to Enya's.  They are Scottish and
their music is based on Scottish Celtic music which is very rythmnic.  Where as
Enya's is Irish and her music is definately Irish Celtic (except her debut self
titled album which is influenced by the Scottish Celts) which is not as
dependent on rythmn and is very open ended (listen to 'Smaotine...' and 'How
Can I Keep from Singing') and requires a few listens to get used to.

I heard Mouth Music are very good live from reports I read from America.  I
WISH they AND Enya would not concert or two in Australia!!!  We are not a lucky
country contrary to popular belief....

.....when it comes to folk and 'ambient' music, that is!  :-(

> -Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

Cheers,
Mik.

* Mik Lipcsey, Computer Systems Officer,      * I am home, I know the way,  *
* Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash Uni., * I am home, feeling oh, so   *
* 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia.     *    far away...              *
* Aarnet:  ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au          *       Enya & Roma Ryan:     *
* 'Open the Pod Bay Door, please, HAL'        *   'Evening Falls...' (1988) *