Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket Man video!

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1991 06:31:54 -0800
Subject: Rocket Man video!
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

The Rocket Man video was shown (for the first time, as far as I know)
on the ITV Chart Show on Saturday - or at least the first half of it
was.

It was directed by Julian Doyle (I think), who also did the film
"Brazil", and the effects were done by a guy who worked on the Star
Wars films (not that there were a lot of special f/x that I could see...).

The whole thing is shot in black & white. It starts with KaTe singing
at a keyboard, which is gradually tilting from side-to-side. It then
cuts to KaTe standing next to a guy playing the concertina with his
arms around her, with a big moon (or sun, or something) behind them.
They are also slowly tilting. The next shot is a close up of KaTe in a
space helmet against a starry background.

During the chorus we see KaTe and the band (Del, a drummer (possibly
Charlie), the concertinist, two backing singers and a piper
(presumably Liam) sitting with his pipes looking bored (presumably we
see him playing in the laster part of the video that wasn't shown)).
There is a lot of dark billowing parachute-fabric-type stuff in the
background. KaTe is wearing a dark jacket and skirt, and is
strumming a minature guitar-type thing (there's probably a name for
this...), which struck me as slightly bizarre at the time...8^).

The next scene (I think, this is all from memory) is of KaTe
(from behind) pretending to be a conductor in front of a starscape and
more billowy parachute fabric.

That's just about all there was - it was only played up to the end of
the second chorus.

You'll be glad to hear she's still looking very good indeed -
certainly better than she did the VH-1 interview, IMHO. Her hair
looked longer than waist length - I don't remember seeing it as long
as this before...

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the