Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Psychological Pressure/Abuse

From: vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1991 03:37:00 -0800
Subject: Re: Psychological Pressure/Abuse
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here. Pre-bonfire post here.

Melissa writes:

> With great pleasure and a huge grin I would like to inform you that in
> the last 12 years I have worked in a mental health center, a hospital and
> 3 physician practices.  I -have- seen mental illness firsthand.  I think
> you were assuming a lot in your response to me.

Well excuse me for assuming a lot based on your answers. I was wrong.
Many of the points in my second article were based on the assumption that
you knew nothing about psychological torment. I stand corrected and realize
that you know quite a bit about psychological abuse. My humble apologies.

> I did not say that psychological abuse or torture was harmless.  The
> whole discussion was about pressure.

It started out about pressure, then turned to psychological force. You
called such force "mythical." That was one of the two points I responded to.

> I just don't buy the argument that I can be harmed by someone else
> exerting this so called psychological pressure on me.  It cannot hurt me
> if I do not allow it to.  I am nobody's victim.

Julian commented on this quite nicely, I think.

>> IMHO, what Larry said was neither disgusting nor sexist, nor was he wrong.

> Bully for you.  In your mind, and apparently in Larry's, it is possible
> to be psychologically pressured.  I refuse to let anyone pressure me in to
> doing something I don't want to do.  We all have flaws in our character,
> but giving in to peer/psychological pressure is not one of mine.

Bully for you too. I think I'll let the quip about the character flaws go,
there are fiercer battles ahead once you read my second post, which you
obviously haven't done yet, but will have probably answered by the time
you read this, then you will answer this and my post answering your post
about my second post will have appeared by the time I read your answer to
this post and by then Cynthia and Richard will have gotten into the act and
you will have answered Julian's post and so on and so forth...

-VM-
vickie@chinet.chi.il.us
(using my own account to keep katefans from being overwhelmed)

"That's R-a-t-c-h-e-d, in case you were wondering"  someone...