Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket Man/Candle in the Wind

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1991 03:40:37 -0800
Subject: Rocket Man/Candle in the Wind
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

I've been asked by IED among others to say more about this...

After looking more closely at the cover, two things have become
apparent: The graphic designer who did the cover doesn't know what
Uillean pipes are (they've spelt it "Villean"!) and both "Rocket Man
and "Candle in the Wind" are on the cover, so I s'pose that makes it a
double-A-side.

Now that I've heard CitW on CD, I can describe it a bit better. The
instrumentals sound as if they've all been done on the Fairlight -
there are vague swirly droney Fairlighty sounds in the background
(which swirl around the sound picture rather disconcertingly if you
happen to be wearing headphones at the time 8^) and the melody is
carried by something vaguely piano-like.

Interestingly, there are no musician credits on the back for CitW,
which probably means either KaTe did it all herself, or maybe it
hadn't even been recorded when they did the cover artwork....

The vocals are amazing and beautiful - IMHO a definite improvement on
the original, although it is a while since I last heard that....

The BV bit at the very end reminds me a lot of the ending of the
album mix of Enya's "Orinoco Flow" (or maybe nearer to the single mix)
but maybe thats just me...

The instrumental version of CitW is also on the CD-single and 12".
Strangely, some main vocals have been left in towards the end.

The posterbag the 7" is in has the same monochrome photo of KaTe as
the cover on it, and seems to get a bit battered by the time it gets
into the record shop, as posterbags tend to do...

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the