Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Psychological Pressure/Abuse

From: caen!bsbbs!mdc@harvard.harvard.edu (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1991 20:17:03 -0800
Subject: Psychological Pressure/Abuse
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:
Vickie wrote:

> Psychological pressure, abuse and outright torture can and does harm
> people every day. Call or visit any mental health center, hospital or
> institution for confirmation of this.

With great pleasure and a huge grin I would like to inform you that in
the last 12 years I have worked in a mental health center, a hospital and
3 physician practices.  I -have- seen mental illness firsthand.  I think
you were assuming a lot in your response to me.

I did not say that psychological abuse or torture was harmless.  The
whole discussion was about pressure.  Besides, pressure is just that: it
does not have the underlying threat of violence/force that abuse or
torture does.

I just don't buy the argument that I can be harmed by someone else
exerting this so called psychological pressure on me.  It cannot hurt me
if I do not allow it to.  I am nobody's victim.

> IMHO, what Larry said was neither disgusting nor sexist, nor was he wrong.

Bully for you.  In your mind, and apparently in Larry's, it is possible
to be psychologically pressured.  I refuse to let anyone pressure me in to
doing something I don't want to do.  We all have flaws in our character,
but giving in to peer/psychological pressure is not one of mine.

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.UUCP