Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Psychological Pressure/Abuse

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1991 02:54:00 -0800
Subject: Psychological Pressure/Abuse
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here. Our outgoing mail system was down. Everything I sent backed
up and will all probably show up at once. My apologies for seeming to post
a bunch of things all at one time. A look at the dates and times will show
otherwise. *sigh*

Melissa Caldwell writes:
> ...equating "psychological force" with physical force and rape is
> disgusting and sexist.  Anyone can say no to even the most convincing
> argument if they really want to.  Nobody can say no to a gun or a knife.
>
> Psychological pressure cannot harm me unless there is some underlying
> threat of physical abuse.  I don't care if someone thinks I might be
> "frigid" or "immoral".  Their opinions cannot hurt me unless I allow them
> to.

Psychological pressure, abuse and outright torture can and does harm
people every day. Call or visit any mental health center, hospital or
institution for confirmation of this.

IMHO, what Larry said was neither disgusting nor sexist, nor was he wrong.

-VM-

           For I know what you don't know
           And I see things you'll never see
           And I've a different way of living you know
           And I've such a different frame of mind