Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Discussion Group Proposal *****

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1991 00:45:31 -0800
Subject: *** Discussion Group Proposal *****
To: crash!wiretap.Spies.COM!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

Weekly Discussion Group Proposal

        In order to get more Kate-inspired talk around here, I'd like to
propose a "weekly discussion group."   Basicly all this means is that I'll
post some Kate quotes about a specific song, along with the lyrics, if they
are rare or exist in different versions.   I'll also post my thoughts on the
song (including the videos or live performances).  And, of course, the idea is
that others will post their ideas and insights also.  If the idea catches on
I'll continue to post one a week., moving through all the songs in order.
Hopefully this will also bring out discussion on less talked about songs.
THis should take about two years :-).  Unless Kate comes out with a new album
by then.  :-)

MOVING

        YOU MUST HAVE HAD AN INSPIRATION WHEN YOU COMPOSED YOUR SONG, YOUR
MOVING?
        Yes, yes I did.  I actually wrote the song for my teacher, Lindsay
Kemp.  But the inspiration came from whales, the big fish.. you know.  They
just sing so beautifully, and that's why they are on the beginning of the
track.  (1978, Japanese Television)

        FOR OVER TWO YEARS KATE HAS BEEN TRAINING AS A DANCER, AND SHE ALSO
STUDIED WITH LINDSAY KEMP, THE MASTER OF MIME AND DANCE.  THE FIRST TRACK ON
THE LP, "MOVING", WAS INSPIRED BY HIM.  The song is almost biographical.  It's
about how a person discovers free expression.  When I was studying with
Lindsay it was thrilling just to watch him work.  (1978, Music Talk)

      WHAT IS THE NOISE AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF MOVING?
      The noise is whale song. Lots of members have written to ask what I
think about whale hunting. Well, I'm dead against it. It would be a terrible
tragedy if those beautiful and noble animals were wiped out by our greed.
(1979, KBC 3)

Moving

        Woo, what a live video!  The first time I saw this live-video I hadn't
actually heard the songs fromt he first two albums, so it was a double-whammy
and it started with this song.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com