Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I've heard "Candle in the Wind"!!!

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1991 07:47:12 -0800
Subject: I've heard "Candle in the Wind"!!!
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

...on the DLT show on Radio 1 yesterday (Sunday). DLT (sorry, Dave Lee
Travis) first played the Rocket Man promo CD, and then an acetate of
Candle in the Wind. He mentioned it would be out on 7" and CD-single
on the 25th.

So what's it like? Very much like the original. KaTe sings it in much
the same style as Elton did, but makes it sound even more beautiful.
She uses her voice quite emotively, without overdoing it.  The
instrumental backing is fairly subdued - I couldn't hear any Uillean
pipes, but there may have been one or two of Pad's exotic stringed
creations in there somewhere. And there's some Enya-like "block"
backing vocals that fade up towards the end.

Dave liked it, but Ben E King (his special guest yesterday) wasn't
quite sure....8^)

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the